Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have really got attached to my 1991 Trooper in the short time I have owened it. So far I have added new tires and a possi unit, so I thought why not put an engine in that gets almost twice the mileage. I have located a guy that has a few 4GJ2t engines. This may be a stupid question but one of them is intercooled and the other is not. Is there a resson to go for the none intercooled over the intercooled one? will the intercooled one fit under the hood? they are both low mileage and have the trans and transfer attached.
Thanks for any information, Steve.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
over seas the 88/91 trops where sold with the 4JB1-T 2.8L the 4JG2-T 3.1L was a gen2 trooper engine. a few extra hp for the trooper thats an extra 1,000LBs :lol: with a loss of 3ish mpg over the 2.8L
expect mid to upper 20s with 31" tires driving in a normal with the flow of traffic manner. with the 3.1L

there basically the same engine blocks only the 2.8L is a DI injected engine and the 3.1L is IDI injected. all 2.8Ls are non computer iszed, and most 3.1L are non comp as well. granted.......they all commonly have a EGR valve
so i cant think of any reson it wouldent fit, worst case snareo you need a 1/2" to 1 1/2" body lift but i think is (quite likely) it would not be needed at all since the same auto was sold over seas with the diesel, just the driver sits on the oppest side.

an inter-cooler adds 4 to 15hp depending on size, the oem one on top of the engine adds something like 4 to 7hp and air is sent thru a opening in the hood, we never got that hood state side so thats going to be a custom thing.

other than flushing the fuel tank/removing or by passing the in tank pump.
adding the glow plug system.
getting a two core RAD from a auto trans trop, or was it the V-6es that had it?
a little metal fabbing for the trans mount.

did i forget any thing? im sure theres some little thing i forgot.

it should just drop right in according to jerry.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Trooper-T, thanks for all the information. I will have the engine here next Mon-Tue, I went with the 3.1 intercooled :D I hope the swap goes smoothly. I have to find out more about the hood scoop and Radiator. Jerry thought that It should get up in the low to mid 30mpg, but even 10mpg more would be great, and of course the power for pulling a small trailer and the hilly terrain we have here in SW-Oregone. I'll post photos as I get things going out and in.
Thanks,Steve.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
well i was thinking if it is driven in a non FE manner, with aggressive muddlers.

if my little gen1 2.2L T\D can handle a 5,500lb trailer for a 3,000 mile drive getting 17/19 mpg.
a 3.1L will handle a little trailer no sweat :!:

theres a photo some where on the site, of the load its quite impressive :lol:

(edit) PM sent

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok my 3.1 4JG2T is here :D Looks like there will be a few things to figure out. Power steering lines, clutch line, exhust and radiator. Im going to gather a few more parts and get started next week. Im also going to put a new rear main seal in and clutch assembly. I hope all goes well, I'll take lots of pohots. Oh ya it did also come with the trans and transfer case, the whole setup has around 30-60,000 miles they told me 8)
Steve.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Can you PM me details on the motor? I want to know where you got it from and what the price was.

Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Slainer, good eye. I dont know what I was thinking :shock: , I have pulled lots of engines and have done a hand full of engine swaps, I think I thought I was around the crank :eek: My new torsion bars came today and also front lockout hubs, I hope to get the radiator ordered next week, I have also attached a photo of my other diesel swap I'm doing, It's a Mercedes 300D into my Mog. This must be the year for diesel swaps 8)
Thanks everyone and stay tuned for more info, Steve.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Yea I think that's the water pump is behind the fan, probable not a very strong lift point. I have a 4jb1t and use a stock two row radiator, no fan shroud, used a longer hose on the bottom and turned the thermostat cover to face the other way, been cooling fine for over a year and a half. As for the power steering I used the stock hose and hard line just did some bending to make it all work.
If you need any info let me know and Ill be glad to share how
I did things on my swap. Looking forward to see what you come up with, maybe I can get some ideas to refine my ride.

·
Registered
496 Posts
That is a nice looking 4JG2T, I am looking forward to seeing it installed!

We are going to pick up our diesel engine order this week. 2 4JB1 and one 4JG2 so I hope we will be seeing some more of these threads soon!

I installed a 4JB1T a while back in my 86, it makes driving my c223t powered 89 trooper really boring! I think you will have fun with it for sure, and the best thing is it bolts right in.

Also, did you get a tranny with it? You will need at least the diesel bellhousing to make it work. I know some of the 4JG2's share an oil filter with their cousin the 4JB1 which is available here-but there are two different styles . There is parts thread over on 4x4wire and a bunch of the parts are interchangeable, FYI. Keep us updated!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.