Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:?: Need some help guys. Sister in law is in another state with a 98 Rodeo 4X4 with an apparently blown engine. (runs like an *** sandwich, knocks, hole in pan, etc.) 76k miles. Seems like a rediculously early death for a well cared for vehicle, but that is another topic. Honda/Isuzu dealers here say that reman is not available, only new, and $6K seems a bit steep, and the thing is simply not worth $6K in repair work. I have several questions:
1. Which engine IS this? She can't seem to tell me, and I am too far away to go down, come back and then go back to fix it. What years cross over, and which don't?
2. What can I swap into this thing? Engines and parts seem REALLY over-priced and under-available. It seems to me that from some of the posts, GM engines are sort of a drop in. If so, what? 3.4, 4.3 or my personal favorite, 6.0 Vortec? :lol:
3. Anyone make adapters to fit other brand engines, I.E. Ford. Can buy complete 3.0's (with PCM) all day for $350, so even a $2K adaptor kit is a heck of a lot cheaper than $6K for an Isuzu reaming -err I mean replacement.
4. Are these engines easily rebuildable? Overbores possible? .040, .060, what is possible? Might be an option, as I would just as soon rebuild the thing and know what I have than get a used engine.
5. Is this common? 76K miles is WAY too soon for this thing to fail.
Any help is appreciated!
Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
It isn't common. That should be the 3.2l DOHC engine.

Having said that, something caused it to fail. It would have been a fluke, or something happened. The hole in the pain, if it happened first is what caused it to die. Something internal could have given up. Who knows at this point.

The engine is rebuildable. I'd source a used one however, or a rebuilt longblock. In our family we have 400k+ miles on two Isuzu 3.2l V6s, and 120k+ on two 3.5l V6s. I'd never expect it to die at 78k.

There's a company on e-bay that sells rebuild longblock Isuzu V6s. You could also call All Hyundai & Isuzu parts ( http://www.allhyundaiisuzuparts.com ). They have a number of wrecked Isuzus and have always treated Planetisuzoo members very well. Tell them that we sent you if you call (We don't get a kickback, it's just to help the Planet's reputation).

Good luck, and let us know how it works out!

-Tad

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tad, I truly appreciate the help. ANY info is better than none. I work at an 'American' dealership and know NOTHING about Honda/Isuzu except what good folks like yourself share. As for the failure, it barfed a connecting rod. (Hole is from inside)
I guess I have one more question:
If I can put this thing back together at a reasonable price, is she gonna have to have a tranny or something in the next few thousand miles? What else commonly fails at this mileage? :evil: GRR! :evil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.