Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been a long time reader, but mostly I just lurk.

Been wrenching on my trooper little by little over the years, mostly doing the path of 'when it breaks, replace it with something better' angle.

Now I'm halfway down a tear down and rebuild of the upper engine and timing belt to chase down every bodies favorite 'mysterious knock/tick' and to give it a much needed valve job. (WAY overdue)

This trooper is really..well, a trooper. It's been all over the country, from Ohio to Dallas countless times, to Florida countless times, all over Virginia and Maryland, even up all through new-york and clear down to Mexico and all over California too. An d now its happy to be back in dallas again. (It might even get to see its original dealership for a hard-to-find bodytrim part one of these days.)

It was a family car when I was in highschool, and then I inherited it after my mother got tired of climbing in and out of it. (Bad back and all.) I always loved the trooper, so I was more than happy to take it.

Since then I have patched up the dings, started a new paint job and done all the things down in my sig along with various other repairs and needed adjustments.

SO, in recent history, I was in the middle of a move from Northern VA back to Dallas, and the trooper was doing just fine. The additional trans-cooler and the oil cooler really helped when it came to towing and being loaded with cargo.

And then some chuckle head in a land rover cut me off, almost caused me to rear end him, resulting in me slamming the brakes, and then having to gun it right after to avoid being slammed by the dump truck behind me.

Thats when something went horribly wrong, the engine humped and stuttered REALLY hard. We dropped RPM's immediately and coasted off to the side, just in time to catch an exit ramp to some old gas station. Engine was making a horrible noise.

150 miles from our destination. If I could, I would have chased that idiot down and beat him with his own driveshaft.

Now, a month or so later, I have half the engine apart. The engine started just fine (Well, before the teardown!), even idled, but it sounded /horrible/ almost like a blown vave or a busted lifter..Nope, valves and lifters are all intact!

Guess what it was?

Oh, come on. GUESS!

Give up? Okay, here.

One of the bolts fell out of the timing belt cover, and the metal spacer tube behind it fell into the timing belt, thus causing the engine to hump hard while it was trying to get stuck. (thankfully it fell on the /top/ of the belt and not down into the teeth), well, it didn't get stuck on the left side, and hopped over the top pulley and settled on the right side, where it was free to bounce around and make all sorts of horrible noises.

Sigh.. oh well, it's all apart now, no reason NOT to do the new timing belt and rebuilt valve/head job now.. :)

Anybody got some good ideas on how to squeeze a little more out of this engine in terms of timing and cams and valves? I'm open to suggestions! (So is the engine, WIDE open. LOL)

I'll post some pictures once I get them transferred over to the new machine in the next day or so. :)

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Glad you joined.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you, thank you.

Er, I'm not sure which one, I took the badge off when I started prepping for the paintjob...

WESTWAY! That's it, now I remember. Back then they did Isuzu Suzuki and Kia.

looks like one of their satellite locations still handles imports! woo! I'll give em a call once I get this engine junk all dealt with.

All I need is the rubbertone window trim piece for the passenger front door, it rusted under the mirror. silly as that is, I can't find the stupid thing /anywhere/, all anybody sells are the chrome ones. :p

edit: just gave them a call. Nope! So much for that idea. Oh well, more pressing matters.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Welcome to the Planet and Welcome to Dallas. It's a great city...What part of DFW are you moving to? Maybe I can help ya with some good spots for food or drink.... :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lasher242 said:
Welcome to the Planet and Welcome to Dallas. It's a great city...What part of DFW are you moving to? Maybe I can help ya with some good spots for food or drink.... :eek:ccasion5:
Oh I'm already here, have been for about a month. Just had a billion other things to get done before I had time to start unpacking tools and ripping the trooper apart. :D

I'm over in plano, throwing distance from the bapto-dome.

Was here about ten years ago..but man, A LOT has changed in ten years, its nuts!

At least people here know how to drive. :lol:

·
Registered
749 Posts
Ah Plano. I got a job up in Plano for the summer.
There's talks of getting a meet together, so I hope that happens pretty soon. The number of DFW members has grown a lot recently.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A meet would be badass.

I'd go!

(Err, You guys don't mind if I show up in something else, right? No idea how long this is gonna take. LOL)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Isn't Dallas a little known suburb of Norman, Oklahoma? lol

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sammynomas said:
Isn't Dallas a little known suburb of Norman, Oklahoma? lol
Only if you use mapquest!

ZING!