Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. We're long time Jeep owners and I really like the looks of the Rodeo. The only problem is I know nothing about them. I know Jeeps like the back of my hand and i'm sure you guys are the same with your Rodeos. I've seen a few around here for sale under 5k that were pretty clean with low miles so heres the plan in my head, sell our Jeep for like 7k, buy a black Rodeo for 5k and under, use the money left to do a small lift and some General grabber at2's, and whatever mechanicals it may need. Is there any specific year that is prone to problems or one thats not? What to look for when buying one? And if anyone has a black one all blacked out with a small lift and some at2's on it love to see a pic. Any low down you guys can give would be deeply appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
11,467 Posts

3" lift with 32" bfg at's.

You didnt say which generation you were looking at. Gen1 and Gen 1.5 ('93-97) Had issues with the hydraulic valve adjusters ticking but thats about it. Common problems with 2nd gen ('98+) are a bit more. Some '98-99 had a bad run of heads that would cracks, some 2nd gens had issues with the intake manifold gaskets cracking, oil holes in the pistons would clog on some and burn oil, fuel pressure sending units went bad on some.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Mine's not black....and I have the 1.5 gen...which is getting a BATH today...but here are some past pics with the 32" tires, I run GY Duratrac's though...some older pics had 32" revo's.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
Mine is a black 99 with snowflakes, factory brush guard and 31's. Not blacked out though.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Things to look out for: The 98 has the weird rear end that is hard to re-gear, look for a 5 speed or an auto with maintenance records or a rebuild. The Autos are the weak link since the tranny is a bit small for the truck, The rack and Pinion steering is vulnerable but I like it. 02+ Rodeos have the hubs that can not be converted to manual hubs.

04' Rodeos had the 3.5 direct injection and the stronger asian transmission which are hard to find but probably your best bet.

Edit, oh yeah, frame rot if the truck spent much time in the salt belt.

Here is mine, not black but I'm proud of it none the less....... viewtopic.php?f=15&t=36316&start=75

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Welcome! Here is a link to some pics of my Rodeo, it's not black either but I have a 2" lift with General Grabber AT2's, so it will give you a good idea. All of my mods so far are in my sig if curious about tire sizes and such. Good luck with your search!

There are a couple better pics at the bottom of the page.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=54490

P.S. I got my 03 Rodeo with 49k miles a couple months ago for just $6800 from a small dealership.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts