Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 1995 1/2 Rodeo,it is 4wd,v6 3.2l,5speed,and says 24 valve on the doors.

The engine has a terrible lifter tick ,I'm almost sure that one or more of them has bottomed out.I will be changing the timing belt in a few weeks and I cant find any info on what type engine I have.I need to know if it is DOHC or SOHC,I thought with 24valves it would have to be DOHC but I'm not sure.
Also what is a good parts place online for isuzu parts?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Welcome to the club, we all have suffered from "the tick" at one point or another. I don't know the specifics of valve numbers for the '95 3.2V6, but it does have hydraulic lifters.

Some engines seem to be more prone to the tick. Mine does it only when the time draws near for an oil change. I have a '99 (with solid lifters).

Other source of ticking noise on these engines is the timing belt tensioner. I had a persistent tick until I changed the belt and tensioner at 90K miles.

Annoying eh? I was terrified that my engine was going to die when it was only 30K with all the racket it was making, but now at 113K it is going strong as ever (and more quietly, or maybe it's just me).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeh when you first hear this engine you think it is a rod knock,But I have eliminated that as the problem.I have read a lot of posts here and think it may be a combination of pulleys and lifters.I want to do all the work at one time,that is why I'm asking about the DOHC or SOHC setup on this truck.The truck has 93,000 miles so it is a good time to do the belts,pulleys and anything else I would have to later remove the timing belt to get to.

Also I changed all the lifters on my 3000GT without removing the cams is this possible to do on the rodeo?

·
Registered
591 Posts
qbclub13- your hydraulic valve lash adjusters are replaceable, but it's a PITA with all the rocker arms / idler shafts to get out of the way on the SOHC 3.2L. One or more of your lifters may be clogged a bit, causing them to collapse- which a good engine flush or two should take care of. The newer 1998+ 3.2/3.5 have no lifters at all. The cams sit directly over the valves and push against a bucket/button attached to the valve stem. These engines kinda give off a sewing machine type rythm at idle. I'd almost rather have they hydraulic lash adjusters. Atleast with them you get some forewarning of low oil pressure :shock: .

G/luck

Joel

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.