Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1990 isuzu trooper ls
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im the happy new owner of a 1990 trooper ls. Unfortunately the transmission started slipping on my hour drive back from purchasing it. So im here to get some insight on what might be the issue with the 4l30e.

Seems like when I hit 4k in top gear it completely slips free and revs freely.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Welcome newguy!

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Welcome to the Planet! If you're gonna rebuild your cranky 4L30E, you might consider using upgraded parts to improve its durability. There have been some recent posts about that, if you search on "4L30E" and sort by newest, you should find some informative threads.

BTW, Buster28 is the resident Auto Trans guru, looks like he already replied in your other thread.

Good luck with the project! When you're ready to improve that "wimpy" 2.8, let me know. How's a 3.4 with 180+ hp sound? 😸 Cheers..........ed

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Is a 3.4 swap pretty straight forward?
Basically an engine R&R (Removal/Reinstall) with a few minor twists. A '93-'95 Camaro 3.4 V6 has the same bell housing bolt pattern, with the exception of the right-side-mounted starter. The MUA5 and 2.8 GM block used in the ZuZu have the starter over on the driver's side. Simple matter, the old Fieros with 2.8 V6 have the same FWD bolt pattern. So one of the big Fiero sites came up with their own drilling jig for the starter holes. Comes with the appropriate drills, the jig which bolts to the block structure, and instructions. If you can drill and tap a hole in a metallic structure, you can do this.

And the entire 3.4 swap, IMHO, would be WAY less complicated than accomplishing a rebuild on a 4L30E! So if you're up for the transmission work, the engine would be a natural addition to the project.

GM used to sell a crate engine intended for use in the old S10/S15 series. But it's NLA. You can still get rebuilt long blocks online and from various IRL stores such as OReilly's. Another way that might save you $$$, is if you have a good local machine shop that can source either a long block or short block for you. If a short block, you can have your 2.8 heads rebuilt and they go right on the 3.4. Same casting numbers ("884") are used on 2.8, 3.1, and 3.4.

The nice thing about this is you can build the rest of the engine the way you want. Add the cam kit of your choice, maybe throw in a set of Comp Cams Magnum 1.6:1 roller-tipped rocker arms, and it'll be a hot runner. You can also gain even more power by port-matching the intake to the heads, and there are folks here who can guide you thru that process.

The GM Goodwrench 3.4 crate engine, with a "torque" cam that was the equivalent to what Comp Cams sells as their "252" cam for the 60-deg iron-head V6, made 160hp and around 195 torque with a restrictive 2-bbl S10 carb & manifold.

On the other hand, you can bore out the 2.8 intake manifold holes to 1-11/16, which by an amazing coincidence just happens to be the bore size of the TBI unit used on GM's 4.3 V6 engine. The 4.3 TBI atop a bored 2.8 intake gives a very decent increase in airflow, and combined with some performance parts like the cam, roller-tip rocker arms, and a larger, free-flowing exhaust, really performs. An S10 Dude with a 3.4 in his pickup dyno'd out at 187 RWHP. Very respectable! That's with headers, rocker arms, cam, exhaust big TBI/bored intake.

Mine has everything he had except the cam and headers, but it's still an excellent performer. Even before I added the large exhaust, it was capable of pulling a 2000 lb ski boat up from Portland on I-5, about 75 or so in 5th. Could have gone faster, didn't need the ticket. Only on the longest grades on I-5 did I need to downshift, and then it just screamed up the hills. With the big exhaust, it's night and day, certainly doesn't lack for power and does everything I want it to do. And gets better mpg to boot. I think I'll keep it, who needs a $70,000 Bronco anyway!!! 😸

I sent you a message about the swap info I've collected, reply with your email address if you're interested. Meanwhile check out what I call "The World's Longest 3.4 Swap Thread" for some excellent info on All Things 3.4 Swap:

Cheers...........ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts