Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all:
I'm a newcomer from Caracas Venezuela.
I come from Italy, a mechanical engineer living in this country.
A description of my horse:

Isuzu Trooper 2 Door SWB (Short Wheel Base)
4ZE1 Engine 2.6L 4 Cyl. with Carburetor
(Surprisingly, no E.F.I. around here!!!)
B.T.W. the Carb. is the same as the 4ZD1 2.3L engine.
4WD, AISIN Manual Hubs. 5 Speed MU-5 Manual Tran.

This horse "Isuzu Trooper" is known here as the "Caribe 442", more or less as it is known as the "Bighorn" in Australian Lands.
Well, I'm here to share experiences about technical advice, repair tricks and where to find "hard-to-find" parts in the Global Market, especially U.S.A., where the Trooper was once quite popular.

Thanks to all of you !!!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Welcome to zoo! I have an old trooper. But mines efi

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to all of you.
As I said, I hope to enjoy the WebSite and to share maintenace experiences, tricks, where to find parts especially in the U.S.A. (a difficult task lately...) etc. B.T.W., Peter, you newer generation Trooper looks really mighty !!! There are not many around where I live (Venezuela), but still a good lot of "old bricks" (1984-91 Troopers) as mine.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hi fabmarch53, welcome to this site.
I really want to see pictures of your Caribe.

I just found old Caribe 442 Commercials in YouTube :

http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?t=53530

Can you tell us some history about Caribe 442? What models and engine they offer? And maybe, why Isuzu naming it "Caribe 442" unlike other countries Bighorn-Jackaroo-Trooper?

Regards,
Andy

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Andy:

Sadly I can't post in a short time pictures of my old horse, due to a problem with the distributor (and now the starter too...). You can see my question about "distributor wiring harness" in another Post around here, and the car is in a narrow and pretty dark place to take good pictures. But I promise to post pictures A.S.A.P !!!

Well, "Caribe 442" was only a marketing and legal trick. In the years between 1984-1991 the Isuzu Trooper was assembled under Isuzu's License at the Factory of Mack Trucks (MackVenca) in Tejerias, Aragua State, Venezuela.

A very dumb law was banning introducing new models to the Venezuelan Auto Market, so smart Japaneses from Isuzu had the idea of put on it the nameplate "Caribe 442" as to pretend it was a "national breed" model.

Where did come the "Caribe 442" Nameplate?

"Caribe" stands obviously for the Caribbean Sea, North of the coast of Venezuela.

"442" is more difficulty to explain... An old joke was telling for the first model (1984 year, 1.9L 4 Cyl.) that "442" was meaning "4" Doors, "4" Wheel Drive and "2" H.P. !!!! :) Very smart joke about the first very under-powered Models... They were REALLY under-powered !!!!

Mine is 1990 Model year, 4ZE1 2.6L 4 Cyl., 4WD with 5 speed MUA tran, Short Wheel Base (SWB) 2 Doors, Standard 235-75R15 Tires, all stock, AISIN manual lock hubs, No modifications at all... As I explained before, It came from the Factory with the 4ZD1 2.3L carburetor and inlet air duct.

The Caribe 442 was very succesful here, cheaper a lot compared with the Totota Land Cruiser, and lots are still rambling around...

But, sadly, every day is more and more difficult to get spare parts, so I rely a lot from buying parts in the U.S.A. via Internet and forwarding them to Venezuela.

Thanks for your interest in my old horse, and I want to make again my promise to post pictures very very soon (when I can finnaly start the engine and bring the horse to sunlight).

Best regards:

Fabrizio.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Fabrizio, Welcome! You have found a good spot here at the planet.
Iam looking forward to photos of your "horse", as I love these old trucks, with the round eyes and the white lens marker lamps. I cant get enough of them.

cheers
-Ian

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Hey Thanks.. That's a very good explanation about Caribe 442. Right now I'm in process collecting Isuzu UBS-Series (Bighorn-Jackaroo-Trooper-Caribe442) history, due to their 30th anniversary in this September.

For importing parts from US, try to offers them diesel 4JB1T from Venezuela and they probably want to exchange it for some 4ZE1 parts. :D

Waiting for the photos :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.