Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well after a few days of research and learning a bunch i've decided to join here and get some other answers to my new project..

i traded my 95 Acura Legend 5spd for a 90 trooper 4cyl. 5spd with a solid axle swap.. it needs some work (steering, tie-rods, odds and ends)
its huge, 35 inch tires and well unlike my legend scrapping isn't ever a worry haha..
here's a few pics from the previous owner (see if u can recognize)

next to my wifes 93 legend

i have pictures of the SAS setup and steering but that'll come later.. i guess lol..
lots of useful info here i'm reading to absorb lol
..like i just saw a picture showing a spring under setup and i really like that.. so i got my work cut out for me seeing as this is my first 4x4..

my very first question (witch i haven't even search yet) what is the best motor i can swap in for realiable and some decent power.. (im not hating on the 4cyl) :p

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Sweet trooper. I don't think I've seen that one before. A very common swap for the V6 models it to put in the 3.4L GM V6 and it suits the trooper quite nicely. Since you are rolling with the 4 cyl, swap options are more complicated. If you wanted to go to the 3.4L I mentioned, you'd have to swap the trans, computer and wiring harness as well and at that point, you might as well just get whatever engine/trans combo suits you best. The 4's are good little engines and turn out a considerable amount of torque but anything over a 32" tire and they really start to bog. Is this a daily driver?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes daily.. well this motor needs some work and I actually don't know what motor it is all the previous owner said was it was pulled from a rodeo unknown year.. but its missing vaccum lines and sadly runs like crap.. Idk where to start with it cause idk witch motor it is lol.. Is there a stamp on Isuzu blocks?? That's why I thought it would be Easter to swap insted of staying with this motor.. but then again I already have this o e I. The troop so idk lol I'm lost right now.. maybe I can find a parts truck somewhere

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh and the tires, I do plan on going smaller just haven't decided what will suite me best.. I do want to hit every trail I can Find and any bit of mud lol.. I'm not really into rock climbing that's why I wanna do the leaf under the axle, I hope that will reduce some body roll.. idk though

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Look for a stamp on the engine that says 4ze1. Really though, if it's a 4 and came out of a rodeo, there is nothing else it could be. If you are concerned about body roll and want to go back to a spring under, you could get a rear sway bar for it too. Course that could limit some of your suspension travel. Honestly, if this is a daily but gonna double as a weekend wheeler too, I'd lose the spring over, go to like a 32"or 33" mud terrain and add a locker to the rear. You could add an air locker to the front as well so you don't have to run it full time. Lots you could do. Welcome to the addiction.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... lol like I said I got my work cut out for me.. can't wait to get it down and take my wife and son out camping or even just a trail ride.. they'll love it lol..

But suspention travel I'm not exactly worried about it right now, its just the steering that make me worried.. loose tie rods steering box I'm sure is shot and the PS pressure hose leaks lol.. I'm not sure if there's a PS gear box repair kit or not if so I can't seem to find it lol.. I can't remember the name of the steering setup but its where the drag link goes into the tie rod close to the passenger side.. "y" I think?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh, I keep forgetting.. that center supper barring is shot.. witch I'm not gonna drive it till I find a solution. I found one online for like $32 bucks but I was told it would be better to get a one piece made for it.. but I don't know how that works

1 - 9 of 9 Posts