Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing the 3.4 swap into my 89 trooper and while discounting the heater core hoses. Part of the plastic broke. It is old and bridle. So I was going to just replace it but I am having a hard time finding one. I cant seem to find a replacement I tired Napa, autozone, Oriely's no one has it. or even find one in the computer. Has anyone else ran into this issue. I don't really want to go through the work and put a used on in there.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
JLEMOND has them, but they're not cheap.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Try JLEMOND here on the planet. If he don't have it i bet he can find it. Just PM him and ask.

I did a little web searching and you are right they are hard to find Good Luck.

You might have to take it out and measure it then find a close match at a friendly and helpful auto parts store.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I am going to take it out and go from there. they are pricey almost 300 for a heater core. I am going to look into a few options first. That just seems like a bit much to me. This 3.4 swap is adding up fast. I hope it is worth it in the end

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I had to replace my Trooper heater core, got it from JLEMOND. I found another option after spending the big bucks for a new one: the local radiator shop said they could custom build a core the right size from aluminum and copper for about $50, but couldn't build in the internal water valve. Chevy LUVs had a separate external water valve that mounts to the firewall, avaiable from rockauto.com. Looks like the custom heater core plus the LUV water valve plus a cable to activate it plus some fabrication would be 1/3 what a new core costs.

·
Registered
129 Posts
sorry to bump a couple week old thread, but better than making a new one. Today the input (or output, idk what way the flow is) of the heater core in my 96 trooper broke off. The plastic is really really brittle, breaks really easily. So I am now in the search for a new one, and ran into the same issue- no parts place carries it and can only find it for ~300 online. Question is what do people think about using a used core? I can find a used one pretty close to me for $50. I am kinda worried about a used one doing the same thing, but it may not, i don't see many people with this problem.

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
Salvage yards?

·
Registered
181 Posts
I just replaced mine because I had the dash apart. If you can't find one locally let me know and I can sell you my old one.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i can find one locally, that's not a problem. My question is more of a question about the reliablity of a used unit. I don't want to have to replace it again later if I use a used part. I guess it could be worded better - how common is problems with the heater core on the 2nd gen Troopers?

Also - oldestisuzuist - what LUV was it that had a firewall mounted heater control Valve? I'm curious about going the custom made route, but after a quick search I couldn't find anything for a heater control valve. I may call the local radiator repair place and see if they could do a custom heater core if given the old on to model it from.

·
Registered
129 Posts
after looking at the part, it appears I may be able to just replace the input/output nipples and not the entire heater core. Of course finding just the nipples will be impossible, but who knows?

Here's a pic of the only replacement heater core I could find. The part that I circled is the part that broke on mine. If you notice they are bolted to the main heater core unit, so I may be able to just replace those things. It will still require removal of the core, but may be cheaper. IDK. Can anyone confirm the OEM unit is the same way?

I'm also still waiting on opinions of new vs. used if anyone has any.

Pic -

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
basic said:
after looking at the part, it appears I may be able to just replace the input/output nipples and not the entire heater core. Of course finding just the nipples will be impossible, but who knows?
I would take just the nipple to the local shop.

They can either plastic-weld the old one, or they can make you a new one out of brass.

Either option will be cheaper than a whole heater core.

If I ever have to replace my heater core, and can't find a free one... I'll take the box out of the trooper, and take it with me to find the closest fitting replacement I can. Then alter the box, if I have to. No way I'd pay 300 dollars or more for that little heater core !!

I'd even go so far as to place an oil cooler in there, instead, to act as the heater core.

·
Registered
129 Posts
thats also a good idea. Plastic welding the old one is pretty much out of the question though, as the plastic is so brittle that it breaks if you look at it wrong. Brass fittings however may not be so bad. I guess It will require taking the heater core out of the trooper first. Was trying to put that off until I had to. I really don't want to pull the dash.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
I was doing some research about this a while back...for rodeos and amigos heather cores are cheaper...but for troopers theyre a bit more expensive

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.