Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a 89' Trooper ii...great shape except the headlights are fogged and rusted inside. Is there a replacement assembly? I saw that someone had modified theirs for "round headlights"...what gives? Thanks for any info. Love the little bugger...2 door...

Charie

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
The round headlight mod or "round eye" mod is simply swapping the grille, headlight buckets, turn signals and headlights to the earlier style Trooper round headlights. The round headlights on earlier Troopers are universal sealed beam headlights. The headlights in your 89 are a halogen capsule and the headlight housings are specific to Troopers. Not universal. You can try searching some wrecking yards to find some that are in better shape than yours or some place out there might have brand new ones. New ones will be pricey, though.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Congrats.....89 two door means an RS?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not sure what an RS is...this is a Trooper ii two door...rebuilt engine by an aircraft mechanic...runs great. All the smog stuff has been taken off and put in a box...up in Colorado...and thanks for the advice on looking for a headlight...found one and it's on the way.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Best bet is to watch E-Bay Motors head lights show up from time to time. I have seen people cut them open clean the lens and paint the reflector silver doesn't work that good but would get you by till you find some better headlights. They are getting harder to find as the supply of nice shiny ones dwindles. If you stay with the square head lights and find some in good condition buy a couple of spares they are susceptible to rock damage. DAVE

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice Dave...yes, I found two and immediately purchased them. Looks like the previous owner had cut one open and put shiny tape on the inside...I kinda fixed that one better and the other one was broken...so I found a replacement for that one...thank goodness.
Would like to find a driver side now and replace the one I fixed...but didn't see one online.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Post a wanted ad in the classifieds section. Theyre are a few "part out" threads. This is where ive gotten all my parts from.

·
Registered
523 Posts
ColoradoCabin said:
sammynomas said:
Congrats.....89 two door means an RS?
Sorry for seeming so dumb...but I had just bought the trooper and wasn't sure what an RS was until I looked on the side...hahaha...yes it is an RS. I'm learning. Slow but sure.

Charlie :D
no prob......the RS is kinda the holy grail to some on here......an RS would round out my first gen stable quite nicely. A four door 90, a long wheel base two door 86, and the short wheel base RS would fill out the trio!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts