Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i have a 02 trooper for those familiar the radio antenna actually has 2 plugs a smaller and bigger one. anyway im not getting good reception from the antenna i have checked all connections, rubbed the edges of radio antenna plug behind headunit with light sand paper, the problem is not the head unit because i have had 3 radios in the past month because of some problems with best buy but anyway,, im not sure why im not getting good reception from my radio sometimes i can hear the songs playing and others its just all fuzz with sound briefly in background. should i just get a new antenna or has anyone came across this problem ?

I believe the actual radio antenna for my model are in the rear glass, can anyone confirm?

Similar to the below link but it actually has a plug like the one below and then a fatter one,

Thank you.

http://mobile-emotions.com/3foot-antenn ... -1998.html

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
not sure but my 94 has the crappiest reception of any vehicle I have owned and I replaced cable and antenae not any better and my radio worked great in my 00 rodeo

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it sucks because the factory radio antenna is hidden i dont want to hook up a alternate antenna

·
Registered
677 Posts
Its probably NOT in the rear window. Look for tiny wires in the windshield (in front). That is where they usually hide them. Those things have given crappy reception since they started using them in the 70's. If the station wasn't in the same town where you live reception was crap.

Back in the days when dinosaurs still roamed the streets and all there was for radio was AM and maybe 8 tracks, those hidden antennas couldn't keep a station tuned in unless you were within 5 miles of the broadcast tower. All it takes is a small crack in the coax and you're finished. Hit a bump and nothing but static.

Only way to know for sure is the get a regular antenna and test the reception with that. If it works on a regular antenna, but not the hidden one then its up to you, live with the crappy reception, or mount a new antenna.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Original Isuzu radio has internal antenna pre-amp, which designed to work with hidden antenna. 2001+ Troopers antennas mounted on side windows (yes two antennas for better reception) in cargo area.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The above post is exactly what I had feared.

So has anyone worked up a good solution to using the side glass antennas. The stock stereo was fine, but my Sony is hurting. Would love to use the sideglass antennas as mounting a new antenna will be a PITA.

-Wayne

·
Registered
213 Posts
Found some info:

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showflat. ... t=all&vc=1

Basically, the amplifiers are located with the antennas in the back windows. They need to be supplied power via your "antenna out" on your new head unit (usually a blue wire) to wire 12 (brown and red) on the stock harness. Then combine the 2 antenna leads into one. This will give you coverage from both sides of the car, you can splice them together, or use the antenna adapter made by Scosche, part #UAAF.

I'll give this a try. happy trails.

-Wayne

·
Registered
3,980 Posts
I have the same issue in my daughters 98 SLX................The radio used to work but now it doesn't pick up. i'm gonna put a new radio in it but it could very well be the antenna. If so, I'm gonna kick myself. she wrecked the front end on fathers day. I replaced all of the sheet metal with parts from a 2000 UX that Jerry has........all except the passenger side front fender, which mine wasn't damaged. I wish i had gone ahead and swapped that fender too as it has (you guessed it) and antenna mounted on it!!!

You could probably buy an "universal mount" antenna but it ain't gonna look all that great! The Factory antenna mounted on those fenders on other models had a recess where the base of the antenna goes to give it a sleeker look. it's hard to see in the following pic I took at Jerry's of the parts donor, but the antenna looks good in those fenders

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yep - I'm going to try and use the stock rear antennas as it is one less thing to mess up when offroading. I have buggered up more than my share of FM antennas over the years. The Stock Isuzu one does look like it might survive a few tree branches though. :)

That parts Trooper looks just like mine. What made it into a parts car?

-Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.