Isuzu SUV Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Discussion starter · #21 ·
Jaybird said:
do coilovers. With those you can dial in your suspension with the spring rates of the different springs. Air shocks you just fill them up to a high pressure and keep them from giving you any sort of good ride.
i was just looking at them i would go a 2.0 and 14 or 16" ???? which one?
and the axle is off a early bronco or anything really the guy has everything jeep, scout, ford ,dodge, yoda

coil overs are the same price its just coils so maybe

Early Bronoc (66-76) the diff is on the wrong side......

Seriously, Why are you adament about coil front? I will put my front leafs up against any other SAS and would be I do almost as well as anyone else. While coils are great, we are limited by our front driveline as to how crazy we can get on flex anyways. Leaf springs are much easier to engineer, will get you all the flex that you could need, in my opinion. And again, for your first real project, use the KISS method.

Discussion starter · #23 ·
MOZES said:
Early Bronoc (66-76) the diff is on the wrong side......

Seriously, Why are you adament about coil front? I will put my front leafs up against any other SAS and would be I do almost as well as anyone else. While coils are great, we are limited by our front driveline as to how crazy we can get on flex anyways. Leaf springs are much easier to engineer, will get you all the flex that you could need, in my opinion. And again, for your first real project, use the KISS method.
oh really? well the early bronco axle is the most built
and idk yet man im still deciding but its really hard when your indecisive

kiss method?

also, you want to build your truck so the suspension wont unload on you going up or down hills. Remember, flex isnt everything. Stability is. Just because you can flex out a whole lot doesnt mean its going to be stable and predictable offroad.

True that Jaybird..... (oh my gosh, I'm old :)

The KISS method was not a dig on you Bikerscool, just a well known saying that means what it says, keep it simple, people often try to over complicate things.

Ya I was thinking Coilovers too Jaybird if you wanted to not go leafs, so much easier to package and the prices have came down a bit but I'm with Mozes too. You can get alot out of leafs and they are alot simpler to set-up, especially for a first-timer.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Jaybird said:
also, you want to build your truck so the suspension wont unload on you going up or down hills. Remember, flex isnt everything. Stability is. Just because you can flex out a whole lot doesnt mean its going to be stable and predictable offroad.
ok thanks man!

do you know what length i would use? Im getting 37's

play with a link calculator. You would probably want to go with a 16inch travel one but run limit straps and a winch in the front with the cable hooked up to it so you can suck in the front end for hill climbs. Also you have to have your steering parallel to your panhard bar or else you will have alot of steering problems.

Run an adjustable panhard too IMO, and if your building links I would build adjustable versions of those to, will help dial everything in. Between that and adjustable coilovers you'd have a very versatile front end design. And Jay, I love the look on some guys faces when you use the winch for that and they just look at you like "WTF is he doing" then "OOOHHHHHHH"

I would never recomend air shocks for a full bodied street truck. You will have nothing but trouble with them. The pressures you will have to run will be on the high side and their seal life will suffer.
I see lots of the buggy guys going to coil overs and ditching the air shocks in my area.
Your going to need a substantial anti sway bar with any set-up, so plan on it.
A 16" coil over or air shock is about 40" long when extended so make sure you have the room.
Pay close attention to your driveshaft angles before you start fabrication, they will likely limit how high you can go, remember the u-joints cant bind even at full droop or you hear loud banging noises and feel sad afterwards.

I would recomend a 10"-12" coil over, They are much easier to fit, and give you all the real world travel you can handle.

I also recomend the RUFFSTUFF link kits. Their parts are very well made and the price is great considering what is involved.

well with 16 inches of travel you can do pretty good but still needs limit straps to keep it all controlable. Like one in the middle. Keeps the suspension from fully unloading on hill climbs without harming the flex too much. Plus With coilovers or airshocks your going to have to cut up the hood and inner fender to fit them anyways without being rediculously tall. I think leafs in the front with the coils in the back will make for a really controlable suspension without hampering any good flex. The leafs will give a good amount of flex but dont have the issues as the links will have when trying to set everything else up. Plus they are easier to package on the truck and depending on shackle placement you wont have to worry too much about binding up driveshafts. Plus it makes steering a whole lot easier to do without going full hydro.

I tend to agree with you on the leaf spring points, in fact, thats why I did it that way clear back in the stone age when I SAS'ed my trooper. Its a hard sell these days to convince someone to use leaves though.

Discussion starter · #34 ·
Jaybird said:
well with 16 inches of travel you can do pretty good but still needs limit straps to keep it all controlable. Like one in the middle. Keeps the suspension from fully unloading on hill climbs without harming the flex too much. Plus With coilovers or airshocks your going to have to cut up the hood and inner fender to fit them anyways without being rediculously tall. I think leafs in the front with the coils in the back will make for a really controlable suspension without hampering any good flex. The leafs will give a good amount of flex but dont have the issues as the links will have when trying to set everything else up. Plus they are easier to package on the truck and depending on shackle placement you wont have to worry too much about binding up driveshafts. Plus it makes steering a whole lot easier to do without going full hydro.
very true yeah thanks man!!

and so everyone im spending the same on coilovers as in leafs

Discussion starter · #36 ·
Jaybird said:
its your money. spend it how you want. Just have fun ever keeping it street legal in cali. From what Ive heard they arnt as easy going on mods to trucks as they are in texas. lol.
as long as u got flaps ur all good.. im getting a deal from a bud.. i might be getting foa's coilovers 14" 2.0 for 400 bucks with coils and a fresh rebuild and revalue

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.