Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS IS FOR MY SAS!!

what size would i go? i can return the bronco coils and get some money back and sell the coil buckets to a bud

i have been thinking fox air shocks they look good and there not that expencive if you think about it, i wouldnt have to spend money on shackles hangers and leaf spring stuff..
same with coils
i would just do the air shocks and 3 link it do the steering breaks and etc..

so imput please... good imput not garbage, i dont wanna here im stupid and i have no clue what im doing..

and the 44 im getting a day after graduation.. and yes im graduating!! :lol:

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Bilsteins or OME may be less pricy!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Dude, chill.
Give it more than just a few hours...

These guys are full of knowledge, you just need to let them actually see the post before getting antsy.

I know nothing about SAS projects though, I've not got the money for it. :(

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Audacity said:
Dude, chill.

These guys are full of knowledge, you just need to let them actually see the post before getting antsy.

its been 6 hours

·
Registered
4,646 Posts
Bikesrcool said:
Audacity said:
Dude, chill.

its been 6 hours
you can count!!!!

wait a little while. there are a smaller number of SAS'd guys on here, most don't frequent as often, so it may not be an instant reply. may give them a day or 2.

·
Registered
523 Posts
a local guy did airshocks on his SAS.....now it's not street legal...make sure you check laws in your area about them.

Also, he hates them..it's too difficult to get them tuned in for on street driving...he's usually too tippy.

The other downfall, especially on a fullbodied rig is the weight, it's just too much for air shocks. Not to mention that if you break one somehow, not only do you lose your shock, but you lose your spring too.

I say stick with coilovers or coils if that's what you are wanting to do.

[edit] I am going to see if the guy wants to sell me his rig...if he does I'll make you a deal on the air shocks, cuz they would be the first thing to go[/edit]

·
Registered
523 Posts
Bikesrcool said:
its been 6 hours
No offense, but this is another reason people give you so much crap...most of us aren't on here every minute we have free time. Whining that it's been 6 hours without a response is childish.....wait at least a day before bumping or following up on a post.

Plus, it's a question that most people will have NO experience with.....air shocks are generally relegated to the light weight buggy crowd....and if you haven't figured out by now, there aren't many (if any) of those here.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jonesy said:
a local guy did airshocks on his SAS.....now it's not street legal...make sure you check laws in your area about them.

Also, he hates them..it's too difficult to get them tuned in for on street driving...he's usually too tippy.

The other downfall, especially on a fullbodied rig is the weight, it's just too much for air shocks. Not to mention that if you break one somehow, not only do you lose your shock, but you lose your spring too.

I say stick with coilovers or coils if that's what you are wanting to do.

[edit] I am going to see if the guy wants to sell me his rig...if he does I'll make you a deal on the air shocks, cuz they would be the first thing to go[/edit]
you bring up good points the 2.5's are 1200 lb max weight and the 2.0 are 500 max weight..

why wouldnt it be street legal?

·
Registered
401 Posts
Bikesrcool said:
you bring up good points the 2.5's are 1200 lb max weight and the 2.0 are 500 max weight..

why wouldn't it be street legal?
They wouldn't be street legal because like Jonsey said, they are hard to tune for the street. In my opinion, stick to coils and a good Bilstein shock. I will be running Pro comp 9000's on my leaf sprung SAS. I should hopefully get the first test drive tomorrow. You can find those for 30 bucks and mine have I think 13 or 14 inches of travel. You can get a good air shock that can replace coils but they will run you $400 plus. If you are worried about money, leaf spring is cheaper because most parts can be sourced from scrap :twisted:

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks man but i just found out its an easy fix with a sway bar!!

i looked this up and it is a good wright up

After asking around amongst those with experience with them, doing some research, and talking directly with Fox, I surmised the following (note that, unless specifically noted, the comparison is with "traditional" suspension setups consisting of a spring (leaf or coil) and separate shock absorber. This is simply because this is currently my only frame of reference, having had no personal experience with coil-over suspensions):

Advantages:

Weight - each unit, comprising "spring" and very high quality rebuildable shock weighs only six (6) lbs!!!
Compact size - the entire unit has an OD of only 2.0" making them extremely easy to fit.
Adjustability - by varying initial nitrogen pressure ("spring rate" and ride height) and the volume of oil in the shock (spring curve progression), along with adjustable valving - they offer a broad range of adjustability.
Price - at a suggested retail price (as of this writing) of approximately $225 US they compare very favourably with a high quality spring and shock absorber setup and are quite a bit more economical than traditional dual or triple-rate coil-overs.
Ease of mounting - Great flexibility in mounting options and configurations is afforded by the fact that each end of the unit mounts with a high quality Aurora brand spherical bearing and a single 1/2" bolt.
Disadvantages:

Requirement for high pressure nitrogen source. - this is more of a neutral, as traditional springs obviously don't require one - but then again aren't adjustable either. Note that this requirement is true of both Airshox and coil-overs as coil-overs also need to be periodically charged with hp nitrogen.
Price - compared to junkyard springs and shocks, these are obviously more expensive, but then we're hardly comparing apples to apples.
Affect of Heat - It is theoretically possible to heat the shocks up to the point that there will be a detrimental effect on the volume/pressure of nitrogen with which they are charged, potentially altering the spring rate/ride height during use. Whether my practical experience bears this out you will have to read on to find out! Note that the magnitude of ambient temperature changes (for example, seasonal changes in outside temperature) have neither a theoretical nor practical effect on the shocks.
Weight carrying capacity - maximum capacity for the shocks to support is 1000 lbs per corner of sprung weight. That equals about a maximum of 5000lbs GVW, depending on vehicle. They generally perform best on lighter vehicles.
Natural roll resistance - similar to softly sprung coil-over setups, these shocks offer very little natural roll resistance. Not a problem for a trail-only rig but may be an issue for a daily driver. Easily fixed with a sway bar though.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/billavist ... index.html

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I think on your Rodeo, running a set-up without any springs is just asking for disaster. His truck is a buggy, and I'm sure he uses the term "daily driver" loosely, like say a Samurai that you drive to work on occasion, like once a month. If you read further he even writes "# Likely not suitable for a daily driver unless very light and equipped with robust anti-sway bars". Even then I wouldn't do it. And this is good input as you put it, even if it's not what you want to hear. If you decide to make it a trail-only rig then go for it, if you plan on driving on the California freeways all the time, I ask you not to. You could get all the flex you want/need out of a coil setup, these would just save you some fab work, don't be lazy.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
anything? No response? It's been like 10 minutes

sorry, had to get that in there :D

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
I can't remember, are you going to be driving your rodeo as a DD once the SAS is complete? Or are you going to be driving your Jeep as a DD and making the zu dedicated to off road?

If you're going to be doing much pavement driving I would stay away from the air shocks.

I don't know much about them but just the quick reading I've done it seems like the disadvantages far outweigh the advantages. If one fails you're pretty hooped on the trail.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Bikesrcool said:
so imput please... good imput not garbage, i dont wanna here im stupid and i have no clue what im doing..

and the 44 im getting a day after graduation.. and yes im graduating!! :lol:
I had to...

Corrected:
So, input please. Good input, not garbage. I don't want to hear I'm stupid and have no clue at what I'm doing.
Congratulations on graduating.

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
:lol: obviously spelling wasn't a requirement for graduating

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
that guy writing the review is from canada - he drives a full buggy
no comparision.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
do coilovers. With those you can dial in your suspension with the spring rates of the different springs. Air shocks you just fill them up to a high pressure and keep them from giving you any sort of good ride.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts