Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As install day approaches I decided to look inside my rad (dreading the worst), & was greeted by none other then the nasty calcified gunky crap we always expect to find in a 22yr old radiator... Not even gonna play the cleaning game, can't afford to bet my new motor on a cleaning.

Not fond of the $180 price tag I have found thus far, anyone got a smokin' deal on a new rad? Or even better yet, a much newer & compatible make/model that I can swipe the rad from at the junk yard?

~psguardian

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DASZU said:
I'd be willing to bet its the same radiator that came in the amigo up to 94.
Quite probly any rig with a 2.6L you're right. I was thinking of something in the 2000's (any make & model) so I could go get a rad thats only a few years old, rather then 10yrs+

~psguardian

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
psguardian said:
I was thinking of something in the 2000's (any make & model) so I could go get a rad thats only a few years old, rather then 10yrs+

~psguardian
I would be quite interested in this info as well.

I wouldn't want a direct, exact replacement. I'd prefer an improvement.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Selador said:
...I wouldn't want a direct, exact replacement. I'd prefer an improvement.
Exactly what I'm hoping for. :wink:

Has anyone Frankensteined a diff rad into a 2.6L engine bay?
***^This is a much better thread title...Edited^***

~psguardian

·
Registered
677 Posts
I put a rad for a V6 in mine when I needed to replace the original. Its actually the only kind available these days. I got it new from a radiator shop near me for $125.00 and they delivered it to my house. Its been a huge upgrade as it has 3 cores rather the 2 core that comes in the 2.6's and it has the larger bottom tank with the plumbing for a automatic heat exchanger which also gives it more capacity. It bolts right into the support with no problems and everything clears it just fine. Just make sure you get one for the same generation (1 or 2) truck. I know the Rodeo's and Amigos interchange, but not sure on the Troopers. Take some measurements before going to the JY.

Here in Florida, cold weather isn't a really huge problem, but up north you may notice that it seems to take a very long time for the 2.6 to reach normal operating temp. Also, when you stop at a light, it cools down really fast. This is a good thing in 90 to 100 degree temperatures, but on those days when we only hit the mid 30's after a 20 degree night and you wake up to frost on the glass, its rather chilly as you wait for the heater or defrosters to work well enough to get the cabin comfortable and the windshield cleared.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
johnnie59 said:
I put a rad for a V6 in mine when I needed to replace the original. I got it new from a radiator shop near me for $125.00 and they delivered it to my house. Its been a huge upgrade as it has 3 cores rather the 2 core that comes in the 2.6's and it has the larger bottom tank with the plumbing for a automatic heat exchanger which also gives it more capacity. It bolts right into the support with no problems and everything clears it just fine. Just make sure you get one for the same generation (1 or 2) truck. I know the Rodeo's and Amigos interchange, but not sure on the Troopers. Take some measurements before going to the JY.

Here in Florida, cold weather isn't a really huge problem, but up north you may notice that it seems to take a very long time for the 2.6 to reach normal operating temp. Also, when you stop at a light, it cools down really fast. This is a good thing in 90 to 100 degree temperatures, but on those days when we only hit the mid 30's after a 20 degree night and you wake up to frost on the glass, its rather chilly as you wait for the heater or defrosters to work well enough to get the cabin comfortable and the windshield cleared.
Sounds to me like a temp switch controlled electric fan would be in order.

Best of both. Major heat protection when needed. And the temp switch would turn off the fan, to let it get a bit warmer, when needed.

I am going to dig a radiator out of an 83 blazer today, and see if it fits. (the same 2.8 v6 that is in a trooper.) Or can be made to fit.

If it does, I am going with that, when I put the 88 troop back together.

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
In the case of an oversized rad (like for a v8 & in cooler areas) you would want to block the side not covered by the fan with a sheet of high temp plastic or sheet metal. Effectively shrinking the rad in cold months, then snip the zip ties in summer.

So..... Anyone pulled a modern rad for this?

~psguardian

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
dont forget that the radiator on an Amigo is about 3" wider than a trooper so it is an improvement.
Found this out when I scored a new radiator out of a 1st gen troop and went to put it in lowrider and the one side bolted up but it was 3" too short to bolt to other side of radiator support

·
Registered
555 Posts
johnnie59 said:
I put a rad for a V6 in mine when I needed to replace the original. Its actually the only kind available these days. I got it new from a radiator shop near me for $125.00 and they delivered it to my house. Its been a huge upgrade as it has 3 cores rather the 2 core that comes in the 2.6's and it has the larger bottom tank with the plumbing for a automatic heat exchanger which also gives it more capacity. It bolts right into the support with no problems and everything clears it just fine. Just make sure you get one for the same generation (1 or 2) truck. I know the Rodeo's and Amigos interchange, but not sure on the Troopers. Take some measurements before going to the JY.

My radiator in my 1996 Rodeo came out of a Trooper at you pull it.

Big oops. I had not actually installed it. its about four inches too tall. :shock: In other words,this trooper radiator does NOT fit a rodeo.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
mallen said:
He is wanting to know of fittability into an 88.

Is the radiator from the trooper at the u pull it, out of a late first gen trooper ? Or a trooper closer to your own year ?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Selador said:
mallen said:

Is the radiator from the trooper at the u pull it, out of a late first gen trooper ? Or a trooper closer to your own year ?
It was out of a trooper close to my year I think. Honestly,I didnt look to hard,I just saw it was the same radiator and took it as I was rather desperate at the time as I had been all over town and every single rodeo that had a radiator left in it was a manual.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
mallen said:
It was out of a trooper close to my year I think. Honestly,I didnt look to hard,I just saw it was the same radiator and took it as I was rather desperate at the time as I had been all over town and every single rodeo that had a radiator left in it was a manual.
I hear you. Been there, done that.

In fact, when I was at the pull-a-part a few months ago, I saw what looks like a new radiator in a trooper there. I grabbed it and bought it even though I didn't need it.

Glad I did, now, because the radiator on the 88, clogged up. Pretty sure that was the reason for the overheat.

Still going to see if a three core from a blazer or jimmy will work in it.

·
Registered
555 Posts
mallen said:
Selador said:
mallen said:

Big oops. I had not actually installed it. its about four inches too tall. :shock: In other words,this trooper radiator does NOT fit a rodeo.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
three core rads where sold in trops, but only the T/Ds got them...
the inlets/out lets are on the oppest sides of the gas rads. :roll:

so more cooling with longer hoses :p

the 2 cores from the GM V-6and or auto trans?? i don't know for shur
make a nice up-grade for the trops that where originally 1 core.

and are buy far easier to find!!!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
What about having a radiator shop remove the top and bottom tanks, junk the old core and install a new core? I have had this done on a few cars that a new radiator isnt an option and with motor upgrades I needed better cooling. That way it fits right back in but the core is all new and more efficient.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
I have an idea.

I scrapped all the blazers I had.

Kept one radiator. (The rest were all obviously bad.)

Set that rad beside the old rad from my 88 troop.

Noticed that they are pretty much identical in capacity, and cooling ability. IOW: the blazer rad is not as tall, but is wider. Measure them for sq inch, and they are the same. The core is a two-row core, on both.

Like I said, they may look a bit different, but they are pretty much identical.

The only difference between these two, is that the blazer rad was made for an auto trans. I find it strange that one made for an auto trans, on a V6 engine, is the very same capacity as one made for a 4cyl with manual trans. But that is beside the point.

The troop had an AC cooler in front of the radiator.

It takes up almost identically the same room as the rad from the blazer.

Sooooooooooo....

I am thinking about putting the rad from the blazer, in place of where the AC cooler was.

Then run the bottom hose from the original rad, to the bottom of the engine.

Run another line from the top of that rad, to the bottom of the blazer rad. (Top circle, follow arrow to bottom circle.)

Then run the top hose from the blazer rad, to the tstat housing on the engine.

~~~~~~~

My thoughts here....

What do they do to a radiator to increase it's cooling power ?

Add rows to the core.

The best rad that I have seen, is a 4 row core, for a big block chevy. I am sure there are bigger and better.

If each of these rads have a 2 row core, then together they have 4 rows.

More capacity, and more cooling ability.

As for putting one in front of the other, and "blocking the air flow to the back one"...

Well, that AC cooler was doing exactly that, anyway. It was pretty clogged up, and the fins were not in the best of shape. So it was blocking more airflow than the blazer rad will.

Besides, if you add two rows to the existing rad, aren't those two new rows, "blocking the flow", to the two original rows, just as much ???

So, bottom line... I am getting no different airflow to the stock rad, (Or in fact, better.), but I am getting cooling power out of what is now doing the minimal blocking.

End result, better cooling.

And if push really came down to shove, there is always the option to remove the stock fan, and put on a thermostatically controlled high flow electric fan.

Let the nay-saying begin.

:lol: 8) :lol:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Not to be the naysayer, but imo 180$ for the proper radiator after all you've done to get this truck is worth the $ ...

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
DigitalDrifter said:
Not to be the naysayer, but imo 180$ for the proper radiator after all you've done to get this truck is worth the $ ...
You have the 180 laying about, to give me ?

LOL

Neither do I.

But I DO have the extra radiator...

:wink:

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Whoah... Multi duplicate posts.. admins pls remove extras..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.