Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, well i'am about ready to install my new 2.6L engine in my 1990 Isuzu trooper. My question is this: Can i install the complete engine, head,intake manifold, oilpan etc. back into the rig WITHOUT having to remove the transmission. I took out the engine complete, with the transmission still in, but dont know if i can install it complete with the engine angle and tranny. How have other folks done it?. Just dont want to have remove the Transmission. Thanks

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
I'd say it'd be doable if you removed the radiator and the fan. It will be tight. You will also have to remove the crossmembers between the lower a-arms and the tranny crossmember.

The only thing that would keep you from doing this I would think would be the front axle housing may make it tight.

Jerry would be able to give you a definte answer I'm sure. He'll probably respond.

Joe

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i have removed the radiator and fan and cross members. Good point on the front axle when i removed the engine i bumped into the axle so hoping install won't be big issue. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Seems to me if you got it up on jack stands that youd get a little better angle. Might he able to get it a little further back before you have to start lifting the tranny back up. Pluss if it turns out you have to, you could get a jack under the front third, take it loose & lower it a little to squeak it on by.

Just a thought.

Jim

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
I'd say it'd be doable if you removed the radiator and the fan. It will be tight. You will also have to remove the crossmembers between the lower a-arms and the tranny crossmember.

The only thing that would keep you from doing this I would think would be the front axle housing may make it tight.

Jerry would be able to give you a definte answer I'm sure. He'll probably respond.

Joe
YES THE ENG WILL GO IN WITH OUT REMOVING THE TRANS ,HOWEVER IF THIS IS YOUR FIRST TIME REMOVE THE RADIATOR AND THE LOWER BOLT ON PULLEYS , DAMPNER IS NOT NECCESSARY TO REMOVE , NOW REMOVE THE LOWER OIL PAN THE METAL BLACK ONE , JACK UP THE TRANS SO IT JUST TOUCHES THE FLOOR PAN, NOW LOWER THE ENG IN VERY SLOWLY WITH THE FRT END TILTED UP, NOW EASE IT DOWN AND BACK A LITTLE AT A TIME , WHAT YOU HAVE TO BE CAREFULL OF IS THE OIL PMP PICKUP, BUT THERE IS ROOM IF YOU ARE CAREFULL AND DON,T LET IT DROP, YOU COULD ALLSO DROP THE FRONT AXLE DOWN BY ABOUT AN INCH OR SO JUST BY LOOSENING THE 4 BIG BOLTS THAT HOLD IT TO THE MAI FRAME AND THIS WILL GIVE YOU A LITTLE MORE ROOM AROUND THE PAN AREA BUT IT IS NOT NECCESSARY, ONCE THE ENG AND TRANS INPUT SHAFT ARE LINED UP ,DOWN A LITTLE AND BACK A LITTLE , JUST KEEP REPEATING THIS AND IT WILL GO RIGHT IN , ON E THING THAT WILL ALLSO HELP FOR FIRST TIMER LEAVE OFF THE ENG CUSHIONS , FOR EVEN MORE CLEARENCE ,, AFTER DOING QUITE A FEW OF THESE WE CAN DROP ONE IN AND HAVE IT BOLTED UP ALL THE WAY AROUND INCLUDING THE TRANNY IN ABOUT 45 MIN.. JUST GO SLOW AND YOU WILL DO FINE , USE A LITTLE ANTISIEZE ON THE TRANNY INPUT SHAFT AND THE TOP DOWEL PIN SO IT DOESN,T STICK SOMETIMES THEY ARE REAL TIGHT GOING INTO THE TRANNY CASE .. JERRY

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Jerry for the info. I will follow your advice. i have one more question as regards a engine install. Where do you hook your chains that attach to the engine to the hoist. I understand the front eye hook off the head but were do you mount on the back?, i took out the engine with the head off so i just hooked to engine mounts to remove the engine.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
traskrover said:
Thanks Jerry for the info. I will follow your advice. i have one more question as regards a engine install. Where do you hook your chains that attach to the engine to the hoist. I understand the front eye hook off the head but were do you mount on the back?, i took out the engine with the head off so i just hooked to engine mounts to remove the engine.
THE BEST PLACE IS THE REAR BOLT ON THE EXHAUST MANIFOLD , THEY CAME WITH THE HANGER YEARS AGO AND THEN THEY STOPPED PUTTING THEM ON TAKE A PEICE OF 3.4 INCH WIDE STRAP ABOUT 6-7 INCHES LONG AND DRILL A 3/8 HOLE IN ONE END ABOUT 1/4 INCH FORM THE EDGE . THIS IS FOR THE BOTTOM AND ON THE TOP , SAME WAY SO YOU CAN BOLT A CHAIN ON AND LIFT AWAY. I BOUGHT A BOX OF UNIVERSIAL EXHAUST PIPE HANGER STRAPS AWHILE BACK AND WHEN THE CAME THEY WERE ALLMOST 1/4 INCH THICK, 8-9 INCH LONG HAD 2 HOLES CLOSE TO ONE END ABOUT 1 INCH APART 3/8 TH DIA, ON THE OTHER END IS A 3/4 INCH HOLE SO NOW I HAVE A BOX OF ENG LIFT BRACKETS , THEY WORK PERFECT BUT NOT WORTH A FLIP FOR THE EXHAUST HANGERS THEY ARE JUST TO THICK TO TRY AND WORK WITH FOR EXHAUST WORK ,, JERRY

1 - 7 of 7 Posts