Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a cold start there is a clunk and harsh jerk going into 2nd and 3rd but after it warms up its fine. It feels like it doesn't want to shift into the next gear. Could this be the universals joints in the drive shaft or some major tranny problem? I'm probably going to replace the universals anyways since I never have in my trucks lifetime.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
i would drop the drive shaft , and regrease the slipjoints , use marine grease, it will stay on longer.

make sure you mark the drive shaft/slipjoint and tranny/diff joints, so you get everything back together correct like it was.

not saying its not the u-joints , but all isuzu's lose the slip joint grease and get a clunk.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was going to do that yesterday and replace the ujoint but I couldn't get the parts yesterday so I'll have to try that asap. I also took off that range sensor thing and cleaned it good but that didn't help anything.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
From the day I bought my 97 brand-new til now, it always shifts rough from 1st to 2nd when it's cold.

My trick is to just let it idle 5 min or so from 50f degrees and up; if it's during the wintertime, i..e below 40F, I let it idle 10min or more....as long as I do this, there is no rough shifting when taking off.

Mine has been this way since new, if your's has just started this, then there's a different issue....but I do know the automatics like to be allowed to idle for a few minutes prior to taking off from a cold start, need to allow that fluid to circulate.

·
Registered
165 Posts
They have a "warmup mode" that below a certain coolant temp they shift later to warm the engine faster. stupid theory IMO but alot of vehicles do that.
You are probly right about a U joint, or it could be the carrier bearing bushing is wasted and the driveshaft jumps when it shifts.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I usually let it idle but it does it here and there and it bothers me. And it probably started year and a half to two years ago. But yesterday I re-greased the yoke and replaced the ujoints and still does it. I cleaned the range sensor too. I really want to save the trip to the tranny shop.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Because I forgotten to grease the range sensor I took it off this morning and did that and it shifted perfectly all day until I drove back home it was harsh again. and when I parked in my driveway (has a slope) it started rolling back and making a clicking sound. Put it in park one more time and it took. I feel like I'm doing all this work for nothing :/

1 - 7 of 7 Posts