Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My g/f has a 2000 Isuzu Amigo with the 3.2 V6 and auto tranny, 36k miles.
When the engine has been running and hot, it's hard to start after sitting for a short period of time. The starter spins fine, and the motor tries to start and then just kinda dies off. It will start up on the second try, but usually has to crank for a good 2 or 3 seconds. When it starts, the rpms are slow to come up. Once running, its fine and is not lagging in power. When the engine is cold, its fires right up with no hesitation at all. My first thoughts were in the fuel department, such as a fuel filter, but I am not really sure.
Any ideas on where to start investigating??
Thanks in advance for your help!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. I would check to see that you don't have a leaky fuel injector. Sometimes these things will drip down and can cause the symptoms you are describing. Start there and see.

By the way folks, you don't always have to buy a NEW injector, there are folks out there that rebuild them and test them, which is usually cheaper than buying a whole new unit.

-Kevin

·
Registered
591 Posts
Dave- the only other thing I've seen cause this on the late model 3.2/3.5's is a bad fuel pressure regulator. It's at the right side / rear of the fuel rail. Before starting the truck, just turn the key to "on", allow the fuel pump to run for a few seconds & see if it starts faster that way. Seems to be alot of 1998+ owners having this problem lately. G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
79 Posts
Dave?
I've shot this possibility to a few people and it has worked cause I had a very similar problem-Check the fuel pump relay for crap in the plug holes or plug. Also, possible culprits like condensation or ants-That's right-I said Ants can get into the holes cuz they like to eat the elactrical grease the factory puts on the relay plugz. I pulled mine out and blew it out snapped it back in and never had a problem since-you might want to check your fuel pump fuse contacts while your under there-Good Luck!
ToddZ 8)

·
Registered
192 Posts
JTK said:
Dave- the only other thing I've seen cause this on the late model 3.2/3.5's is a bad fuel pressure regulator. It's at the right side / rear of the fuel rail. Before starting the truck, just turn the key to "on", allow the fuel pump to run for a few seconds & see if it starts faster that way. Seems to be alot of 1998+ owners having this problem lately. G/luck
Joel
FYI, I'm having the same long cranking time to start when engine is warm problem on my 01 Trooper with 31k miles. I took it in 3k miles ago and they did an "Injector Service" and fuel filter change as they said it appeared I got some bad gas. It did not solve the problem so I bought it in again today and told them to test the fuel pressure regulator and guess what, they want to replace it now(warranty). But only one problem, it appears Isuzu Corp. does not Overnight parts anymore so the part in not expected to come in until next week?!? So my only choices was to leave the Trooper until the part comes in, or I take it and just live with the long crank times(and more starter wear and tear). I took the truck but I'm wondering if Isuzu would have paid for a rental anyway as it is a driveablilty issue sort of but not a "breakdown".
I know they are trying to trim cost but this is not like a missing hubcap which can wait a week. My mom had a Ford and the alternator would lose power when hitting the gas. It was not a big problem as it would charge the battery when at idle fine, but the dealer did not have an alternator in stock so they actually bought one from another dealer! Now that's good warranty service(and I'm not a Ford fan either)!

Will let you know what happens when I take it back in.

Con

·
Registered
61 Posts
I've got the same problem with my '00 Trooper. Has anyone replaced the fuel pressure regulator on their own? It looks like it is only about a $50 part, and I'm sure the dealership will get a couple hundred for labor.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Speedzilla said:
I've got the same problem with my '00 Trooper. Has anyone replaced the fuel pressure regulator on their own? It looks like it is only about a $50 part, and I'm sure the dealership will get a couple hundred for labor.
I wonder if that part falls in under the powertrain warranty which if that's the case, I would let your dealer fix it under warranty.

BTW, since I got it back, the truck has been starting fine now so I wonder if I had a connection problem than the module problem. I'm still going to get it replaced anyway just to make sure, but maybe you should just unplug it and plug it back to see if it helps for you.

Good Luck,
Con

·
Registered
123 Posts
Howdy. Just remember to wear your safety goggles, and put a rag over any fitting you are removing on a FI vehicle. These lines will be under pressure and should stay under pressure. If they are not, you have a problem in the system, which is in most cases a leaky fuel injector or a bad regulator.

By the way, this is why you don't need to pump the pedal when starting a FI car, because the fuel is always pressurized behind the injectors.

-Kevin

·
Registered
192 Posts
Conman said:
Speedzilla said:
I wonder if that part falls in under the powertrain warranty which if that's the case, I would let your dealer fix it under warranty.

BTW, since I got it back, the truck has been starting fine now so I wonder if I had a connection problem than the module problem. I'm still going to get it replaced anyway just to make sure, but maybe you should just unplug it and plug it back to see if it helps for you.

Good Luck,
Con
Appears my dealer is still waiting for the part from Isuzu. They said they have waited almost 5 weeks just to get a Power window button!?! :shock: So I'm still waiting on the Fuel Pressure Regulator and according to my Dealer, no ETA from Isuzu. :( The most I've ever waited for a part was one week to replace my muffler under warranty but now this is crazy. I'm glad my truck still runs. Just think if it was disabled, what would I do to get around? Dumb. Happy Goble Day! :)

Cheers,
Con

·
Registered
9 Posts
Isuzu will only pay for overnight freight if the vehicle is considered "undriveable". A fuel pressure regulator is not covered under powertrain warr. ( just the 3/50 basic). The easiest way to determine if the regulator is the problem is to pull the vacuum line off the regulator and check for gas in the hose (may need to do this when the problem occurs)....if there is gas in the hose, the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
192 Posts
vinroc said:
Isuzu will only pay for overnight freight if the vehicle is considered "undriveable". A fuel pressure regulator is not covered under powertrain warr. ( just the 3/50 basic). The easiest way to determine if the regulator is the problem is to pull the vacuum line off the regulator and check for gas in the hose (may need to do this when the problem occurs)....if there is gas in the hose, the fuel pressure regulator needs to be replaced. Hope this helps.
Overnite is not a problem. It's going on three and half weeks waiting for the part. I think that's 2.5 weeks too long IMHO. I'm under basic still so that's not the problem either. I took the truck in twice and the second time it was determined that the FPR was bad. I'm now just living with long crank times and wearing out my starter and battery which will probably wear out just after my basic warranty expires. :x

Cheers,
Con

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.