Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have tried to find a thread that fits exactly what I have going on, but could not. There was a guy that posted a video of his 3.2 Knocking at idle. I have that exact same noise in my 3.2, but only under load. At idle and when decelerating, the engine is quiet with no taps or knocks. I took the valve cover off and everything looked good in there. I now have the timing cover off, but I had to put the tensioner in a vice to get it to where I could put the wire in it to keep it closed. It sounds like the tensioner issue from the video, but behaves completely different. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This is going to get buried so I figured I would bump it up. After placing the tensioner in a vice, I was able to compress the pin. Now the pin will move 3 or 4 mm by hand, but still feels pretty stout. I am starting to think my problem may be internal to the engine, except the noise does not seem to be one that can be made by anything except metal banging on metal. That still leaves me with the sinking feeling it is the tensioner, but the physical evidence seems to point to the tensioner being OK. I am lost.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
pull the plug wire to the front cylinder on the drivers side and see if the noise changes substantially. If it does then is likely bad rod bearing on that cylinder. Is best reasonable way I know of to check between a bad tensioner and a bad rod bearing.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
How many miles on the truck? Have you checked the oil on a regular basis? Low oil and you could have spun a rod bearing. Hopefully not.

Since you have the tensioner off you might as well replace it. You might also think about replacing your water pump while you've got the front of the engine torn down.

I'd say wen you get a new tensioner back on, your knock should go away.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts