Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, after dealing with the fuel pump issue and fixing it I am now stranded 1k miles from home with BOTH half shafts failed right at the back of the wheel (boots are torn and it looks like a bearing or two fell out and some breakage. Yay)

I didn't notice this problem until I had to engage TOD for some snow on the road, noticed the truck would bob up and down on braking, and popping on sharp turns. Made it to my destination ok, but now I need to make it back.
so with a failure at the back of the tire on the half shaft is it possible to just disconnect the half shaft until I can get home? Fixing it correctly isn't possible at the moment. (ordered the half shafts but they won't be in in time so I changed the delivery to my home address.

Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Remove the hub caps (the real hub caps, under the allen-head bolts). Then remove the single c-clip from the axles. Then put the wheel back on and drive home.

Oh and make sure to put it into 2wd.

-Tad

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tad said:
Remove the hub caps (the real hub caps, under the allen-head bolts). Then remove the single c-clip from the axles. Then put the wheel back on and drive home.

Oh and make sure to put it into 2wd.

-Tad
Thanks!!!! :D :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The real ones right? Or both. I removed the real ones and set them aside, the caps are just hanging out right now as well.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The hub caps are around 4" in diameter and have 6 small bolts holding them on. Once those 6 bolts are off you'll find the drive flange handing off of the half-shaft. It looks like the item on the right in this photo:
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n203 ... bholes.jpg

Remove the c-clip and the drive flange will slide off of the half-shaft. Stop there and put the wheel back on. Don't take out the phillips-head screws that hold the bearing retainer in place that are behind the drive flange.

-Tad

1 - 9 of 9 Posts