Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this on a site by the URL www.2carpros.com when doing a google search for compression specs for a '99 3.2 V6...

What a laugh!

Question: 1997 Isuzu Rodeo 3.2L V6 mileage: 50000. I would like to change the automatic transmission fluid in my vehicle (I am familiar with the procedure on older vehicles) but on my Isuzu the transmission is a sealed unit. It has an overfill and drain plug. I drained approximately 3 quarts and filled it with about the same amount through the overfill hole so the best I was able to do was a partial change (total capacity = 9.1qts). I have searched everywhere for information on how to service this type of transmission (4L30-E) to no avail. Regardless of whether or not it is supposed to be serviced at 100,000+ miles I would rather change oil than change a transmission. How do you change the oil on this type of transmission? The service manual I have gives no specifics.

Answer: This type of transmission does not require service. The manufacturers have used a type of transmission oil that does not break down and consequently does not require changing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Oil that does not break down? There is no such thing...

If it's the same as mine you have two pans to remove and a filter to change. Not an easy job either but one that should probably be done every 60k miles or so.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't even want to take a chance with 60K. Then again I drive around NYC most of the time.

·
Registered
591 Posts
2carpros are a couple of total knuckle-heads. I like to read their articles for a good laugh! I understand it's near impossible to stay up to date on auto tech information, but these guys just make stuff up most of the time!

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
39 Posts
ummm yea i think i agree with jules. i have had to service mine twice and it is a a pain in the ***. as jules stated there are 2 pans and a filter that need to be changed. as for why its a pain in the ***, its becase the stupid exhaust pipe from the headers crosses over. my rodeo a 94 and has 211k and im still running mint.

·
Registered
591 Posts
1997+ are a major PITA with out a tranny dipstick! You don't have to drop any exhaust to get the main pan off on the 1998+, but a x-member is in the way. You really dont have to touch the little pan (adapter pan), 'cause you'll only find about 1/2qt of ATF in there anyway. If you do ATF changeouts every 20Kmi or so, the filter should be good for atleast 60Kmi. Partial fluid swaps works well, or just pump out thru the cooler line / pump the new ATF up thru the fill port. I use compressed air to force ATF out of a gallon jug, thru a clear vinyl hose & into the fill hole.
G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
52 Posts
sounds like Bob and Ken have a bit of homework to do
or maybe they could tell us where we can find this oil that wond break down
no it is not available trhough the dealer I know because thats where I work
maybe someone can post that question

·
Registered
80 Posts
oil that doesn't break down???
can i get some of that in 10W-30?
how 'bout oil that doesn't leak, too?

·
Registered
9 Posts
On 1996 and newer models, after draining the fluid, make sure you have the engine running in "park" when filling with new fluid or else you won't have as much in there as you're supposed to. As far as changing the filter, I have been working on Isuzus for 10 yrs. and have never changed a filter in these auto trannys and I've never seen any come in with a problem related to a clogged filter. But that's up to you!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have never felt my car shift as smooth as now since the day I bought it, or now after changing the fluid and filter. All the other fluid changes (only) never resulted in a better feeling tranny.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Most 3.2L owners are just now having to come to terms with this ridiculous tranny design. I just had to deal with this myself again for the second time when my troop' crossed the 100k mark.
First, buy a filter/gasket kit (~ $25 from Advance Auto Parts)
Second, drain the fluid and then pull off the pan and change gasket and filter.
Last...(don't laugh) take your troop to a Jiffy Lube or equivalent that does the full fluid flush. And make sure you have a couple of new copper washers for the technician when he replaces the plugs.

This tranny design is the biggest PITA I have seen on any car, let alone a SUV. I pray the new Trooper (wishful thinking...) has a better tranny design. :roll:

·
Registered
123 Posts
Hey guys. Yes, this design is a PITA as we all know. Filter changes should occur 30-40K, but like Joel says, it depends on how often the fluid is flushed. Fluid condition can also depend on how hard you drive and if you do a lot of towing/hauling with your rig. If your fluid smells burnt then replace it, even if the clarity is ok. On all auto tranny services I would reccommend using a flush machine simply because it does a great job and gets the TC. Furthermore, on the machines the tech can see the fluid condition as the flush is being performed; so if necessary the tech can run the machine for a longer period of time to clean out the tranny. Make sure to run the tranny through all the gears to make sure the valve body gets cleaned out and to make sure your level is good.

I would not trust any tech who thinks that fluids don't need to be changed... EVER. That's simply absurd. My 2 cents.

-Wrench

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Why MUST this subject come up now? :x :? :wink:

Everyone here has trannys that work! Mine is broken!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts