Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
couple weeks ago i noticed a crack on my windshield, so i called the insurance company and set up an appointment for safelite to come to my house and change it, safelite guy calls me and asks a couple questions like vin number, tint on top of the windshield, then i ask him to be very careful about the trim pieces around the windshield, since they're very hard to find and the last time i had my glass replaced the installer broke every piece, every clip and glued everything with that black goop they use, and i spent over a month and a couple hundred bucks finding all new trim, he says don't worry i'll send an experienced installer he'll do a good job, so i come home and go check the truck, and he broke every damn piece of trim, every clip, lost all the end pieces, glued everything back with the black goop, left black goop all over the truck, made a mess in my driveway, and to add insult to injury he cut my sirius satelite antena that was tucked behind the upper piece of rubber trim, now i had to call st charles isuzu and ordered all brand new pieces wich added up to over $250, ordered a new antena for $20 and i''l have to spend my time taking my dash apart to install it, so the lesson here is; take the time off and watch them do the work.

p.s sorry for the long rant

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I stopped using safelite a couple years ago. I go through a couple windshields a year on my work truck and they kept cutting out my old trim with a razor. Long story short I've got crazy rust all around the windshield of one of my trucks. And they leave glue everywhere and I've had several that leaked...

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
JoeIsuzu said:
$50? They should be reimbursing him for the ENTIRE cost.

Jack
^ This.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Damn that sucks. Call your insurance company they should be able to get the money out of them. Get your costs covered man that it total crap. Don't take this one bent over!

Insurance companies have big leverage since they send the majority of their clients and are the ones who pay the bill.

·
Registered
258 Posts
X2 on the above 2. Don't take it.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i called safelite, spoke to a manager, his answer was that due to the age of my truck i should expect this things to happen, he offered to send the guy back so he could try to fix it better but he couldn't guarantee anything, my answer was if i saw anyone with a safelite uniform so much as looking at my truck i was gonna break his damn hands so he wouldn't do this to anybody elses truck, hang up the phone called the insurance company and they said they're holding the payment to the safelite office that did the job, an adjuster is coming tomorrow to look at the truck and reinburse me for all the new trim pieces i ordered, i guess things will be ok in the end, and a tip for trooper owners, if you have to remove the lower windshield piece, just remove the whole cowel piece this way you won't risk breaking the clips and bending the trim like this a**hole did.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
That sucks man. I've got a crack in my windshield that doesn't obstruct the driver's view, but I've been thinking about replacing it anyways. Glad I read this, think I'll just live with it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Sorry to hear you had problems with satellite. I own my own autoglass company and I have to fix satellite f-ups all the time. Don't settle for what you have . Bitch to the insurance company and keep bitching until you are happy. I just worried if they left such a mess what did they leave under the glass . You may have rust issues later. You may want to have the windshields redone. What city are you in ...may be I can help.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Dang. I'd take my shotgun to 'em all. Pisses me off, and it's your Isuzu, not mine. No excuse for poor workmanship. What a cheap shoddy company. I hope you get it all worked out to your satisfactions.

tonnydoodles said:
couple weeks ago i noticed a crack on my windshield, so i called the insurance company and set up an appointment for safelite to come to my house and change it, safelite guy calls me and asks a couple questions like vin number, tint on top of the windshield, then i ask him to be very careful about the trim pieces around the windshield, since they're very hard to find and the last time i had my glass replaced the installer broke every piece, every clip and glued everything with that black goop they use, and i spent over a month and a couple hundred bucks finding all new trim, he says don't worry i'll send an experienced installer he'll do a good job, so i come home and go check the truck, and he broke every damn piece of trim, every clip, lost all the end pieces, glued everything back with the black goop, left black goop all over the truck, made a mess in my driveway, and to add insult to injury he cut my sirius satelite antena that was tucked behind the upper piece of rubber trim, now i had to call st charles isuzu and ordered all brand new pieces wich added up to over $250, ordered a new antena for $20 and i''l have to spend my time taking my dash apart to install it, so the lesson here is; take the time off and watch them do the work.

p.s sorry for the long rant

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
Safelite is the McDonald's of the glass industry. They have huge contracts with major insurance carriers and off the cheapest prices in the business. And..... you get what you pay for.... the cheapest glass and the cheapest labor. You can choose your own repairer for any type of insurance claim, whether its glass, fender bender, or heavy collision. Insurance carriers will try to steer you to the repairer of THEIR choice because it is going to save them money, they have many methods for doing this, they tell you that they won't warrantee the work if you go to your repairer, that you may have to pay out of pocket, etc... It's all BS, any time you have a claim, find a repairer that you trust that will guarantee the work and that you are familiar with or have a couple good recommendations about. Yes, I'm in the industry.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Pretty much why I've been hesitant to replace the windshield in my Lightning. Small crack out of view at the bottom, I'd have to show it to someone or you'd not notice it. I know a few people that have had their windshield replaced only to later develop rust where the installer had knocked off paint removing the trim.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts