Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Serves the B!tch right! :p

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... /mdf628732

Comedian Whoopi Goldberg (news) will no longer appear in ads for diet aid maker Slim-Fast following her lewd riff on President George W. Bush (news - web sites)'s name at a fund-raiser last week, the company said on July 14, 2004. Florida-based Slim-Fast said it was 'disappointed' in Goldberg's remarks at last Thursday's $7.5 million star-studded fund-raiser at Radio City Music Hall in New York. Goldberg is seen in an ad for Slim Fast's 'Big Loser' campaign in a picture released December 30. (Slim Fast Foods/Reuters)

Pic in original article

This one chopped slightly - and more approrpriate
http://www.blogsofwar.com

:lol:

I was truly disappointed in the number of 'celebs' that turned out to this thing at RCMH and the way they acted. Now I'm even more turned off on the Hollywood scene that I was before with the antics of Garofalo, Robbins, Sarandan, et al.

Cheers,

·
Registered
416 Posts
Speaking out is one thing. Vomiting filth and expecting no one to take offense to it is another.

If a company fears that they'll lose business by keeping an unpopular spokesperson, they can dump them.

No one says she has no right to do what she did. Now she's paying for it.

·
Registered
246 Posts
C'mon, she knows what she said would offend at least some people; she's a comedian, for God's sake. She's cracked jokes on every president since, what, Reagan, at least? The only reason she got dumped is because a bunch of big money Republicans got their feelings hurt, took it personally, and threatened to boycott SlimFast. SlimFast didn't drop her until that threat arose.

The Bush regime spews filth everyday and expects no one to be offended by it. It's too bad we can't dump them. But they'll never pay for their inappropriate behaviors and like Rumsfeld said, you can take that to the bank :wink:

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
What pisses me off is the only reason they can mouth off about the president and such things freely is because people lost their lives fighting for the very freedom which they enjoy and take for granted.

They have no idea what honor or pride in their country is about. They all had everything handed to them and now just because they have a more powerful voice than joe nobody they think we will listen to their spoken manure.

They are a bunch of people that have beliefs that are so far away from what I believe is moraly right. I'm not here to offend anyone but in my book being gay is a choice, and it's also against everything the bible says. Sodomy is still against the law in 48 states. So why should I be tolerant. I think there's too much freakin tolerance! I think when someone is doing something wrong they should be called on it. I think kids should still be getting swats in school.

We won't even get into the abortion thing.

I'm sorry hollywood, but about 4 years ago didn't half of you guys say if Bush was elected president you were moving to some other country? I'll chip in for a one way ticket.

Piss on political correctness, it's ruining America. We are all so worried about who we are going to offend. It wasn't two or three days after 9-11 that all of the patriotism was overflowing (and rightly so) and flags were waving that the same bunch of morons were fussing that we were going to offend someone because of our patriotism. Who would that have been? I just don't get it. I'm from America, I'm an American and I'm darn proud of everything that we had to do and go through to get here and become a free nation UNDER GOD.

Oh, and to the people that are saying that the phrase "UNDER GOD" should be unconstitutional isn't God mentioned quite a few times in the constitution itself. Our country was founded by Christians if you don't like that fact or dissagree with any of the other freedoms we possess, use the other freedom anyone that happens to live the great United States has. The freedom to leave.

[stepping off soapbox]

Edit: Just for the record I'm a registered democrat, I typically agree with the more conservative views of republicans but in my great state of West Virginia if you don't vote democrat you might as well be throwing your vote away.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
Who cares whether or not they dropped Whoopi, or for what reason. I'm sure she'll be okay.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Where does it say that the reason they dropped Whoppi was because the groups threatened a boycott?

The article never states how much impact these groups have on the company for that matter or even whether they have any money at all. They could be church groups for that matter. You have to make a leap to conclude that these are "big money republicans" who pull all the purse strings at Slim-Fast. However, I woul be interested to know those facts.

She's lashing out as at Republicans in reaction to a company choosing to drop her. The company made a choice and that is their prerogative. In her case, her job hinges on public relations. I think it's safe to say that most companies would rather not have controversy surrounding their spokespersons.

I don't care if they drop her or not. What I do care about is that no one expects that there are no repurcusions for the actions that they take if and when the public hears about it. The media did a pretty good job at broadcasting what she said. I guess Republicans control CNN, AP, Reuters, MSNBC and all those other outlets too?

Cheney got criticized for what he said and he got lots of media attention just the same. The people will have their shot at him in just a few months. That among many other factors will play into their votes.

BTW, drudiggy, my tone in this is meant to be friendly and respectful. Seriously! :)

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
¡Oracle! said:
What I do care about is that no one expects that there are no repurcusions for the actions that they take if and when the public hears about it.
Therein lies the 'weight' of it all right there.

Too many people, Goldberg, et al. notwithstanding, have assumed the Freedom of Speech does not also come with it the 'weight' of consequences for one's statements.

The Freedom of Speech demands respect for it is a two-way-street with mere painted lines in the middle. If you stray to the other side, you beg to suffer catastrophic consequences. So, with that metaphor, one must always 'Think Before Thou Speaks' lest one must suffer the consequences.

This is not to say that if Goldberg had chosen a different, more reverent tone in advocating her position regarding the President, that Slim-Fast still wouldn't have dropped her, we will never know, but at least she wouldn't have caused all this drama-fodder for the media. She didn't hurt the President, she made a fool of herself.

Cheers,

·
Registered
246 Posts
"BTW, drudiggy, my tone in this is meant to be friendly and respectful. Seriously! "

iOracle!, don't worry, I know you weren't meaning to be disrespectful, hopefully you don't think I am, either. I'm sure we could both be really mean if we really wanted to, but why cause bad blood between 'Zoo friends? :D

BTW, I don't care that she was dropped either - I didn't even know she was their spokeperson before this morning. Guess I just felt like being contrary. You have a good point about the spokeperson thing. She should have been more mindful of her position in terms of how she chose to act in a public forum.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.