Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone interested in a weekend run up the fire roads of GWNF this January? The area I am referring to is West of Harrisonburg, VA just South of where Rt-33 crosses from VA into WV. If there is no snow you can run most of it in 2wd, but the views are nice. There are a few challenging spots, but a stock rig will have no issue. This is mostly a relaxing trip with some nice scenery. If there is snow on the ground, this can all go out the window quickly. We had one trip a few years ago where we powered/winched through a section of trail with snow drifts two feet deep. It was time consuming with a dozen trucks and only one with a winch. :oops: We will adjust our trail plans based on the weather.

We will camp at Hone Quarry Campground. Google it for more info. It is a primitive campground with an honor box for payment. They have a vault toilet so you don't have to cop a squat in the woods. It is no more than a glorified outhouse though, so don't expect anything fancy. Some trips we have had dry ground to set up on, but more than a few times we have arrived to find there was snow on the ground at that elevation. Last trip my pop up camper was acting like a grader blade as I made my way in. 6-9" of snow made for a fun weekend of camping. We encourage everyone to bring a stash of dry firewood with them, You don't need to fill the truck, but a tote or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

This will be a support yourself trip. We may cobble together a pot luck dinner Saturday night, but otherwise plan on bringing all your own food, water, and shelter. I personally will be bringing my popup camper. Call my soft, but in my old age, I don't like sleeping on the ground and/or being cold. Plus it will be a good test for my Trooper. This will be it's first trip towing up the mountain.

So who wants to go play??

·
Registered
530 Posts
Anyone interested in a weekend run up the fire roads of GWNF this January? The area I am referring to is West of Harrisonburg, VA just South of where Rt-33 crosses from VA into WV. If there is no snow you can run most of it in 2wd, but the views are nice. There are a few challenging spots, but a stock rig will have no issue. This is mostly a relaxing trip with some nice scenery. If there is snow on the ground, this can all go out the window quickly. We had one trip a few years ago where we powered/winched through a section of trail with snow drifts two feet deep. It was time consuming with a dozen trucks and only one with a winch. :oops: We will adjust our trail plans based on the weather.

We will camp at Hone Quarry Campground. Google it for more info. It is a primitive campground with an honor box for payment. They have a vault toilet so you don't have to cop a squat in the woods. It is no more than a glorified outhouse though, so don't expect anything fancy. Some trips we have had dry ground to set up on, but more than a few times we have arrived to find there was snow on the ground at that elevation. Last trip my pop up camper was acting like a grader blade as I made my way in. 6-9" of snow made for a fun weekend of camping. We encourage everyone to bring a stash of dry firewood with them, You don't need to fill the truck, but a tote or two wouldn't be a bad idea.

This will be a support yourself trip. We may cobble together a pot luck dinner Saturday night, but otherwise plan on bringing all your own food, water, and shelter. I personally will be bringing my popup camper. Call my soft, but in my old age, I don't like sleeping on the ground and/or being cold. Plus it will be a good test for my Trooper. This will be it's first trip towing up the mountain.

So who wants to go play??

MEEEEEEEE!

Reactions: TonkaToy

·
Registered
83 Posts
I'm interested in joining. I love going to GWNF for mountain biking but I haven't done the fire roads and trails in a while. Which weekend in Jan were you thinking? This would be two nights at the campsite, right?

Mike

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm interested in joining. I love going to GWNF for mountain biking but I haven't done the fire roads and trails in a while. Which weekend in Jan were you thinking? This would be two nights at the campsite, right?

Mike
We haven't locked down a date yet, but I'm guessing middle of the month. Yes, if all went well we would get there Friday evening (I might even take off work Friday) and pack up Sunday after breakfast. Come on out. We always like meeting new members.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any other interest?? Over two hundred people have viewed this but only two people are interested in going? Come on out and play guys!! I guess winter camping is scaring off the weak. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, not that anyone else seems to care, but this trip has been postponed. I will let you all know when we reschedule.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks for the update. Hope we can make something happen in the future. My brother is moving to the area at the end of the month and would up for a trip like this. He’s got a 91 Montero that would fit in nicely among troopers.

Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts