Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who is in for a GWNF trip Labor Day weekend September 2-5?

Same format as usual. Roll in Friday, setup camp, socialize, sleep. Saturday morning a big breakfast is followed by an hour of trying to get everyone loaded up and on the same channel to hit the trail. :lol: Lunch on the trail, followed by more exploring then back to camp for dinner prep. A feast of a meal is consumed along with various bottles and cans of soda :roll: around the campfire as stories and lies are told well into the night... Then repeat again Sunday!

What will be different is that we will be camping in a new location. To make sure that our new site doesn't get overrun with people since it is off the beaten path and we want to keep it that way we will not be publicizing it's location. There will be two rally times at the Shell station on Rt. 33 just West of Harrisonburg. From there we will lead folks back to our new camping area. One will be on Friday evening. The other will be Saturday morning. Squatch and Hack have scouted this location out and tell me that it is wonderful. More on this to come...

So who's coming and what do we want to eat?

Attending:
2002Trooper4me
Smitty (as a passenger)
Squatch
tlcsr66
Medic
Two_Squirrels
Hack
enigma
loopedrl

Maybe:
Slainer
Polarstar
Bansil
Sohc

Unable to attend:

FAQ:

Q: What do I need to bring?
A: Standard camping gear, food, WATER, simple recovery gear, a good atttitude!

Q: Where are we meeting?
A: We will be meeting at the Shell station on Rt. 33 just West of Harrisonburg. This is easy to find from I-81 take exit 247 (Rt. 33) and head West. Follow this road through the town of Harrisonburg. You will go around the town square, cross a set of RR tracks, and about a mile ahead on the right will be the Shell station.

Q: What time will we be meeting there?
A: These times haven't been set yet but, they will be around 5-6pm Friday and again around 9am Saturday. These will be set as we get closer to the trip.

Feel free to ask any other questions you might have. The only dumb question is the one not asked...

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I'm in. I just hope the FS doesn't decide to close the gate on us at the new loc. Might be a good idea to call before we leave or have an alternate site. The new site is in danger of being closed off due to trashing and vandalizim like so much of the park. That's why we don't want to go public with directions.

These pics are from the scouting trip. Great location.

As an alternate I propose one of the knob meadows weather permiting.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I need to find more oil sorces, to support my ventures. I will have just about burt up all of my vegtiable oil suply on my trip to New Jersey.
Unfortantly I'm about to going to my uncles veiwing in a hour we lost him in a tragic motorcycle acident. He was a truely great guy who will be misted by all who knew him. When I get back to home the bikes going up forsale, not going get on another street bike, with over 20 year of streat riding and no acidents its time for me to hang it up while I'm ahead of the game.
Wayne

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would like to go.

As this will be my first trip with you all I have a ton of questions but I'll keep an eye on this thread for answers.

What do I need to bring?

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
Count me in!

·
Registered
745 Posts
I am in too. Medic, I just noticed you have a trooper? What happened with the rodeo (pm to not clog the thread)

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Squatch and/or Hack are here by nominated to investigate the camp location access. I think the Ranger will work with us if he recalls how neat and tidy our campsite was on his last visit.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Two_squirrels said:
I am in too. Medic, I just noticed you have a trooper? What happened with the rodeo (pm to not clog the thread)
Yeah, noticed that too. What's the dealio?

Put me down as a maybe. I definitely have nothing planned. Gonna be more of a mental situation with me.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
I plan to be there, Janet's health permitting.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
PolarStar said:
Gonna be more of a mental situation with me.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Well, this one is just too easy... I'd loose my Smart#$! union card if I didn't take a swipe at it.

Gonna be? Mark, you are a mental situation!! Hell, that's half the reason we keep ya around... The entertainment!! :lol:

Love ya, mean it!

Hope you can make it out. Do you have the boys that weekend or is that part of the hangup? I will not have Kylie as she will be getting ready for the start of the new school year. Give me a call if you want to talk.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hack said:
Hope she is doing better bud. Give me a call if there is anything I can do to help. I am right down the road and you know I can be there in a hurry, just say the word.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Don't know that we'll be able to scope out the site again prior to trip. I should be going down early on Friday so if there is a prob we can probably come up with an alternate and let someone know who can post up. Or we'll just meet at the scheduled times and take folks to the alternate.

As far as what to bring. The emphasis on these trips is camping and chilling so that might helps some. Bring a chair to sit in. Tent or other shelter. Sleeping bag and ground pad. Food for yourself and some means to cook it. Water.

The other thing I want to mention is these are primative sites. As in no toilets. I personally am not crazy about digging a cat hole to crap. Before long all these cat holes become a problem in well used places. I suggest if you are going to do a bit of wheeling/ camping like this that you look into a portable toilet such as these.
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... os=reviews

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 478583818#

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 8wIwATgA#p

Worse comes to worse a 5 gallon bucket with some trash bags and kitty litter works.

As always these are NOT "PlanetIsuzu" organized trips. This as a group of friends getting together to camp and wheel. As such you are responsible for yourself and those who come with you. Behaviour, meals, repairs, trash. Pack it in-pack it out. Alcohol is not allowed in the park.

There is a nice lake nearby to fish in. Nice for a small canoe or yak. You need a VA fishing licene, NFS stamp, and VA trout stamp to fish there. I will probably bring my solo canoe again

·
Registered
976 Posts
I'm thinking about crapping in that lake. How about that?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
PolarStar said:
I'm thinking about crapping in that lake. How about that?
You'll have to ask the good people of Harrisonburg. It's THEIR water supply!

About that mental thing!

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
2002trooper4me said:
Hack said:
Hope she is doing better bud. Give me a call if there is anything I can do to help. I am right down the road and you know I can be there in a hurry, just say the word.
Thanks. Prayers are best right now. Janet just went to arranger her pre-op. She goes under the knife on the 25th and starts chemo once she is strong enough. It will all depend upon where she is in the chemo cycle. If she is feeling good, I can attend, if she is sick then obviously I'll stay with her.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Mario I'm sorry that your wife is going through all this. I know she has one truly great person to stand by and help her though this. You and your family will be in my thoughts.

I would like to make this trip but don't know if I will be able, as time gets closer I will let you all know.

·
Registered
504 Posts
i would like to attend but have never been that far from the charlotte. i usually go to URE. can you pm me with details. such as where is the shell station. times for the rallys. and do i need to get an orv permit for this park to attend.....thanks

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
loopedr1 said:
i would like to attend but have never been that far from the charlotte. i usually go to URE. can you pm me with details. such as where is the shell station. times for the rallys. and do i need to get an orv permit for this park to attend.....thanks
I-81 to Harrisonburg, Va. RT33 west through town and out the west side. Shell station is on the right hand side leaving town. We'll worry about times and such when we get closer. It's still a good ways away. No permit needed.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
loopedr1 said:
No permit needed. No camping fees. This is primitive camping with absolutely no facilities and we ride on forest roads.

As for directions, you just take I81 to Harrisonburg, VA and exit at 247.
Take Rt33 West into the city center. You go around a square. The Shell station is less than a mile from the square on the right (North) side of Rt33. It is a good place to fuel up and get ice.

Not sure where we plan to meet up on this trip. On the last trip, we found a no name gas station in Rawley Springs about 5-7 miles further West on the left (South) side of Rt33. It has ethanol-free gas so we actually started fueling up and getting ice there instead. But is is small so it is not a good place to meet up.

Mark and I thought that a good place would be the second pull-off on the right (North) side of Rt33 after the GWNF sign, another couple of miles up the road. It is big enough to handle 10 rigs and there is a bridge after it at Kephart Run that is a good indication that you missed it. But we can work it out as the date gets close.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Put me down as a maybe :wink: I will have my buddy with me if we go..Lisa said it was guys weekend.....to much primative camping fro her :lol:

1 - 20 of 195 Posts