Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few of us are planning a Campout in GWNF over MLK weekend. This is intended to be a get together to renew friendships and celebrate the life of Squatch who passed last April. We'll probably do some light wheeling if the weather cooperates, but that won't be the focus of the trip. We are planning to stay in Hone Quarry, which gives us access to toilets and fire pits.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/gwj/rec ... ecid=73759

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
I'm in!

From previous trips, anyone planning to attend, be prepared for snow camping. Sometimes the ground is dry, but more than once we have been camping on 6-8" of snow. It is a lot of fun if you are prepared for it. I will be driving "Ox" (my F250) w/ my new project camper on the back. Looking forward to a shakedown run to see how the camper does, and see what needs attention. I have only done minimal testing so far of the systems, so nothing like trial by fire (or ice as the case maybe).

Weather and trail access permitting, we will make a run to the top of Flagpole Knob Saturday. This is normally a fire road that can easily be run in 2wd, but in winter we have been stopped in the past due to snow drifts sometimes 24" deep. We will have to see what conditions are like.

I'm excited and look forward to seeing some old faces, and maybe meeting some new ones. Going to be strange not having Squatch with us, but I bet he will be there in spirit...

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Just heard that Smitty is also coming.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am in NC this week trying to help deal with JoeD's stuff not sure I'll be ready for a trip MLK. But I'll try.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry guys. Can't get my stuff together with the snow and Hitch. So I'm out.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I make no promises, but I am going to consider the trip. I imagine we are going to have a good ride (five and dime, maybe even the Blue Ridge Pkway) next weekend here in RVA what with the possibility of a 60 degree day on Saturday, but if not, I'd be in and the '86 is about 90% ready for something like this.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
Well, this trip is a bust for me too. In between the weather (forecast says rain Saturday. snow Saturday night, ice Sunday) up on the mountain, possibly having to work Sunday. Now my wife has been notified that they need her to work at the hospital Sunday.

We will reschedule as soon as possible, but February isn't looking good from what I see foretasted.

·
Registered
6,257 Posts
What do you guys think about making a trip on Memorial day weekend?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.