Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Uwharrie!!!! for pictures just go to this link....

http://www.msnusers.com/Uwharrietrooper/

click on the pictures link.

I had an awesome time and was amazed at what a stock trooper (1990 V6 LS) could do. I went on a couple of trails rated difficult and got through them with out a problem.......the whole day went with out a problem until the very end of the day. Since both me and the guy who went with me (he drives the white Jeep Wrangler w/ 31 in tires in the pics) made it through the trails rated "difficult" ok, he wanted to try the extreemly difficult trail. He has been to Uwharrie several times and made it through extreemly difficult trails alright. I consented to go with him. We got to the first difficult part of the trail where there were a bunch of flint rocks, I was struggling a little climbing the hill and decided to have the Jeep pull me up a little b/c I was having trouble getting up. Well, after he towed me, we heard a hissing sound and noticed that the tire was going flat.........no problem, I always check my spare and it had plenty of air in it or so I thought.....when the spare was put on my car and the jack lowered, I found out that my spare didn't have as much air in it as I had thought. We finally found someone with an air compressor and pumped it up. Well, it was a little late in the day and we decided we would go home; besides, off-roading without a spare is a little risky. Well, we took my trooper down one of the by-passes in that part of the trail to make it easier on my car......and guess what happened! My spare tire popped and started going flat! Both of these popped tires were NICE goodyear wrangler tires!

In situations like these, it is good to have a working knowlege of vehicles, well atleast occasionally! I really dont know very much! But, it turns out that my buddy's wife who came along with us, drove her honda passport to Uwharrie and of course trooper rims and passport rims are interchangable. So my buddy went and got the spare off the passport, he had to air up that spare, finally mounted it on my car. At this point, I start joking with my buddy about what we are going to do if I blow this spare...... However, everything turned out alright and I got home safely.

This story goes to show yall that you can never be too prepared when you do stuff like this!

Over all though, I had a very good time and cant wait to do it again! The guy who came with me was pretty impressed with my trooper!

I am still a little curious as to what caused the blowouts though. It may have to do with the flint rocks. I drove on a much rockier place with granite rocks and had no problem with flats.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I am still a little curious as to what caused the blowouts though. It may have to do with the flint rocks. I drove on a much rockier place with granite rocks and had no problem with flats
Luck of the draw. I skated for a few seasons on 4-ply tires with no problems but then one year on a gravel road in the GWNF, one just......popped. Those were Kelly Safaris, which I liked.

But, since it was time to change out, I finally went with 6-ply tires for the xtra insurance against punctures.

Cheers,

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.