Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently heard a grinding or kind of growling sound coming from the rear end of my 88 Trooper. I figured it just needed brake pads. Guess I was wrong, it still makes the same noise. Only seems to make it when I am slowing down or coming to a stop. Like I said brake pads are new and calipers and equipment looked to be in good shape. I am thinking wheel bearing or u-joint? Would either of these cause such a noise? Also I can feel the vibration of the sound coming through the brake pedal. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
175 Posts
Did you replace the pads with OEM pads? I have heard some weird stories about aftermarket pads causing noises in the rear. Something to do with the thickness of an aftermarket pad. Supposedly the sound is much worse in reverse if this is the root of the problem. Just a thought...

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
Grab the driveshaft and try to move it. This might be a sign that the center support bearing (the rubber donut around it) is failing. It also could be a ujoint. Those will make noises like that.

It *could* be a wheel bearing, but I've yet to hear of a 12-bolt wheel bearing failing when the diff still had fluid in it.

Good luck,
Tad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What is a center support bearing? I used OEM pads. I will check the u joints. I was kind of leary of it being the wheel bearing as well. If it is wheel bearings, I can say that is no easy task. Also the rear pads were sooo hard to change out, is there an easy way to get the piston to go back into the cylinder bore? It says twist it clock wise, but I almost killed myself just twisting them back in.

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The twisting is the hard part. Parts stores generally sell a cube shaped tool with little bumbs sticking out to perform that task.

The center support bearing is in the middle of the driveshaft. You will find that the driveshaft has 3 u-joints. One at each end and one in the middle. The middle one has a support bearing next to it, which prevents the driveshaft from flopping down into the street. The bearing comes from Isuzu with the rubber support, and the whole thing has to be pressed onto the shaft (after the old one is pressed off). If that is the problem, for around $100 you could have a new one piece rear shaft made and be done with the center support bearing.

-Tad

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wish I would have known they made a tool for that, I would have gladly paid any amount of money for it!!! :) How do the pistons come back out when you press the brake pedal? They cant twist back out because of the little notch in the back of the brake pad. Also, is the procedure the same for the front disc brake pads?

·
Registered
7,543 Posts
did you inspect the disc? if you damaged the Rotor, the back could be grooved and cause the noise youre describing. Did you have the rotors cut before replacing the pads? What type of pads did you use? metalic, semi metal, organic??? it makes a big difference with Isuzus, i only run Organics. They dont last as long but they dont squeak or destroy the rotors. The inside pad wears faster so you may have gouged the inside of the rotor.

Ron

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I expected the rotors to be trashed but they were perfect. They had very little wear. Question? Is the carrier and center bearing the same?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.