Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all..on the east coast here and in for another storm. I have a 94 Rodeo 4x4 auto with 96k and I am hearing a grinding/clicking noise at the rear of the truck when I accelerate hard....it almost sounds like my end gate is not securely fastened. It is more noticeable when I am turning. There is no noise at all while driving at highway speeds or at normal acceleration. I appreciate any insight!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I feel your pain with the mysterious grinding noise. My 94 Trooper is making a grinding noise too -- it does it whether you are braking or not, and in between 10 - 30 mph. After I hit about 25 or 30 it dissapears.

I think your best bet would be to do some of the following:

1. Check/change your rear differential fluid. This is something that's supposed to be done about every 15k miles and not many people seem to do it. Check the old fluid for any metal shavings or important pieces that may indicate a worn differential.

2. Check U-joints. If I recall correctly there are four bearings on each u-joint connection - one for each end of the spider that fits into the yoke. These could be worn or in need of some grease.

3. Check the brakes. There may be a brake part hung up or sticking somehow. Check the pads for even wear and that all the parts are installed correctly.

4. Check your bearings. Jack the wheels up off the ground (block the front wheels). Put the vehicle in Neutral and spin the wheels -- listen for any weird noises. Grab the wheel at the top and bottom and try and rock it back and forth -- if it gives any your bearing are probably worn/shot.

5. Look under the vehicle (use jackstands and be safe about this!) for any loose or missing components. Check bolts to ensure they're tight. Hangers for the exhuast and heat shields, suspension components, etc. etc. Leave no stone unturned!

If this fails to locate the source of the grinding/clicking noise you might consider going to a mechanic. Usually they know what it is just by listening for a minute. Doing this yourself is like being Sherlock Holmes, you have to consider everything and use deductive reasoning...something is causing the noise, you've just got to eliminate all the suspects one at a time!

Good luck!

P.S. If you don't have a Chilton's or Haynes manual for this vehicle, buy one!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.