Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 trooper, 5 speed, 4wd, and every time i turn the engine off, while still moving and when i'm in neutral, a grinding sound comes up... If I then turn the ignition to the on position, it then goes away, even though the car is off. Does anyone know why its doing that, or how to get rid of it? because whenever i park i get in the habbit of turning off the car, while in neutral, before coming to a stop, but with this sound it is embarassing.... I know it cant be usual this way, because with my 88 trooper i can do it, and also with my friend rsx....
thanks for y'alls time

·
Registered
416 Posts
I experienced this when testing how my Passports brakes and steering operate during an engine failure.

The noise worried me so I never tried it again. I am not sure what caused it, but I did feel pulsating in the brake pedal so I suspect that the ABS could have something to do with it. It doesn't sound like the usual ABS buzz though, metal to metal grinding is a very accurate description.

·
Registered
9 Posts
First of all do not do it any more.

In the ignition off condition the four wheel drive system is engaged. When you turn off the key the four wheel drive is attempting to engage the splines. What you hear is the splines slamming into each other, chipping off pieces of metal.

I did the same thing troubleshooting much the same as you did and had to remove the transfer case to replace the seal and flush the metal out of it. I suggest draining the transfer case and replacing the oil. Take a close look at how much metal is attached to the magnet on the drain plug.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Man that's a weird setup!! I know for fact on my 2002, the electric SOTF actuator stays in the "open" condition with the key "off"- you can spin either front tire w/out the front diff input spinning, and the electric xfer case clutch stays disengaged- because you can spin the front drive shaft by hand. Maybe this lovely feature :roll: is only on earlier models??
Joel

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.