Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After getting my '96 Rodeo stuck in the mud for a few hours today because my front wheels wouldn't engage when in four wheel drive, I now have a grinding noise coming from the front wheels. I can engage the four high and four low now, and the grinding noise is only present when in one of these. In two wheel the grinding noise disappears. :evil:

When I put it in four wheel today the light came on but the front wheels didn't ever engage. I haven't had a problem getting it to work before, and I just had the wheel bearings repacked. Could my hubs be shot? The truck has 120K miles on it and I just bought it. If it is the hubs how much would I be looking at to get them replaced?

·
Registered
591 Posts
On your last front hub re-grease, it's possible whoever did it, didn't re assemble the hubs properly causing the front shafts to spin & not fully engage (splines are grinding together). I think there is a snap ring or something in there that when missed will cause this problem. Hopefully a G-roo will add some detail here! :wink:

G/luck
Joel

·
Registered
82 Posts
Sounds like either a bad re-pack as stated above or some crud got in there. Grab a manual, tear it apart, clean and re-grease, then re-assemble and see how it works/sounds then.

Or, if you haven't already, (didn't post if you have auto or manual hubs) swap out the crappy auto lock hubs an use a set of fool-proof manual lock hubs. Less working parts to fail and easier to service and a much cheaper cost than replacement autos. They last longer and pay for themselves in a few years as well I fell. Check around with a few Isuzu part vendors, prices are all generally the same.

Craig

·
Registered
39 Posts
yea mine makes a clicking nosie sometimes but they have always worked (mostly after going through some water

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good idea. I'm going to take it back to the place that did the repack and have them check to make sure that they didn't miss something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.