Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I repacked the wheel bearings last weekend and i'm afraid that i did something wrong, as there is grease on my wheels. Is it possible that it just let out some extra grease and that i'm fine. If not what should i do to fix this?

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
You may have over-greased it, but that does look weird. What kind of grease did you use? Take the wheel off and see where it is coming from. The hub or hub flange should seal to the hub thingy (technical term) that the bearings are installed in.

-Tad

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Brakes are working perfectly, when i was packing the grease i did feel like i was putting too much in. Maybe i should just clean em off and see if it keep happening? I need to change the shocks so i guess i should check them while the wheels are off.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Could be wrong grease (i.e. you need the high temperature kind for disc brakes), too much (you only need to pack the bearings not fill the big cavity), you forgot the grease seals or put them in wrong side out?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i definately filled the big cavity so that when i put the retaining nut type thing back on, it started to ooze out. I'm pretty sure i used the right grease, i had asked the guy at autozone. I will install my front shocks tonight or tomorrow and i will probably have to take off the wheel. I guess i'll take a look at it then, is there anything i should look out for.

And i'm sure i put the grease seal on properly, i even put some red rtv sealant on it. Oh wait, when i was hammering the grease seal back in, i bent it a little bit but i bent it back into place and hammered it in. Thats why i put the rtv gasket stuff on, do you think it could be leaking from the rear grease seal.

·
Registered
558 Posts
it could be that grease seal. When ever i have put new ones into anything if i mis hammer em and bend em i ALWAYS use a new one. They can be vary finikey.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Never EVER ever use a damaged grease seal.

If you bent it, it's no good and you need to get a new one. You're going to get water in there and that will cause all sorts of expensive problems.

To me, that amount of grease on those wheels doesn't look like it just oozed out a little.

Assuming you don't have a seal driver. When driving in the new seal did you use a flat piece of wood that covers the entire seal to help you evenly drive it in? It makes a big difference!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i did use a peice of wood, thats when i bent it, without the wood i was able to do it fine. I'm just wierd like that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i got more practice this weekend as i repacked the wheel bearings, i did it much much muuuchhhhh faster this time around. And the grease inside was really thin so it looks like i got water in there.

Also another question. After taking off the wheel, the next thing you take off, some sort of cap, it had a gasket on it but when go to the autoparts stores there is no mention of that gasket. Is there suppose to be a gasket there. I thought maybe someone had just cut one out before because one of my friends repacked it way back when. Do i need to put a gasket there, just to be safe i put some of that orange gasket maker but if i put brake cleaner it will probably melt the silicon. If there is a gasket for that part, where can i get it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.