Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just doing some post hunting on coil options for the back of second gen troopers. Im looking for 2-3" of lift and thinking about trying the front springs from a Grand Cherokee. Not really sure if I should go with a v8 or v6 spring. Any thoughts or experiences?

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
they are PUNY. i am under them every day at work, they are about 6" wide (ours are 4 1/2") and aprox 7 inches tall compressed, ours are 10.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
You want to use the front ones they work good. V8 ones in the troopers are probly gonna give you the best. Look at my post blood sweat and tears another fella was doing his trooper!!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
bradzuzu said:
You want to use the front ones they work good. V8 ones in the troopers are probly gonna give you the best. Look at my post blood sweat and tears another fella was doing his trooper!!
Im glad I listened to you, they are perfect...

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Did you get em put in ??? I've used them all around in my buggy front and rear ,dame with my amigo. The ride is so fanominal I hate to lift it anymore. But I did cut the small coil off the ones in the front. So just by getting another set and installing them it will go up another 3" s or so.
Got any pics ???

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heres the shot of my truck 285/75r16 Goodyear Duratracs, 1 in body lift, t bar crank, and the Grand Cherokee v8 front springs out back w/ just the tight coil cut off so they could seat in the bucket.

I would say it will lift a trooper that has good rear springs in it about 2-2.5in. Probably lifted my truck 4in because the rear springs were SHOT. The truck rides good. I still need to make a front bumper but I figure if it comes down too much Ill make a spacer for it because the spring rate is perfect IMO. I really cant wait to SAS the truck and take it wheeling, just too much more important stuff to fix like body mounts and plating the frame first...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
O and I plan on using the same springs up front for the SAS but with an adjustable coil bucket. I figure with a plate bumper, brush guard and winch they'll be perfect.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I'm so glad it worked out for you !!! Truck looks good man. They make my buddy's rodeo ride sweat. For his we cut the small end off to. I keep buggin him for a pic.

I took this today to compare my lift to a stock passport.
It was super clean. I love the ride I have. I'm thinkin I could get some air between the ground and my tires just to see how nice it would land 8)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heres a link to my build thread. I used to be a die hard square body chevy guy and kept my build in the community over there because theres alot more serious fabbers than here. Plus its like a brother hood over there, even if you change vehicles you stick with the people.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=286260

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Funny I owned a 78 K5 for about 15 plus years my baby.
But look at me now I'm an isuzu nut lol. Smaller rigs fit more places !!!!

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
TrooperDrew said:
Is there a similar process for first gen troopers? (just popping in cherokee springs for a lift)
It will be different in that you have leaf springs, not coils. Possibly there is something out there that would fit, but haven't heard of it yet.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
I wonder what the spring rate is for those GC coils...that is a much lighter vehicle than a Trooper, but maybe the fronts are fairly stiff to carry the weight of the motor.

I am very happy with the OME 929s in my Trooper, so I'm not really looking for springs, but it is great for the community to scope out a viable junkyard alternative like this, kudos.

Some pics of the coils installed, and for the cutting-to-fit process would be great.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts

The first set of pics are the rear of my amigo, look close and you can see the extension welded onto the bottom coil perch. Doing it that way you can set/lock the small coil end down. Giving an additional 2" s roughly,of lift. The pics of the front show the welded nipple piece but to level my front and rear I had to snip off the small loop!! Keeping in mind I'm using all rear components up front so the back would be the same.
The three coils sitting side by side are left to right a jeep coil /rodeo and an amigo coil.....
From what I've found out there are three grades if not more of the jeep coils. One being in the Cherokee 4 cyl then the 6 and the grand Cherokee V8.
If you take a micrometer they steadily get thicker by about 8-10 thou I think.
I've suggested the v8 grands for the troopers since they seem to weigh more and require a longer/stiffer coil.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Doesn't look like the Jeep coil has the flat top wind like Isuzu uses...is that why you made that top mount bucket?

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
They lock right in the same as isuzu... I made some spacers for the back, to level out my amigo. The jeep coils actualy fit the rubber insulators.....I see what your looking at in the pic of all the coils!!! Once it starts to compress it seats in the same way... I'm pricing some jeep lift coils to see what the cost will be. Thinking 4" lift coils from there I can cut them if need be. But the longer the coil theore potential travel I can utilize.

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
Personally I would not want more than 3" lift from the springs...I experimented with 4" for a while with the RS but the driveshaft did not like it, much happier at 3".

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Right now I have my best driveline angles with the ride height I'm at ,so I'm not nessisarily wanting to go higher. The ride of the current set up is really nice and soft. The front sway bar keeps it in check on the freeway it handles/corners awesome. With the solid axle set up I only have about an 1-1/2 till I hit the pump stops though. I guess it's good in a high speed stopping situation though which happens on the long drive home everyother day.

·
Registered
62 Posts
What year Grand Cherokee coils? and are they stock height or lift? How much more weight can the rear handle with the Jeep coils? Any ideas for an economical lift for the front torsion bars? My 92 coils and torsion bars are real soft, it squats way too much!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts