Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Not sure which one I would get, havent really checked them out yet (but will eventually get one).

I dont know if it will be a tom tom though, purely based on the fact their commercials annoy the heck out of me. The same reason I dont shop at old navy or eat at burger king until they get better commercials lol.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
No opinion on the GPS, but,

I have to agree with Gizmo on the commercial thing.

And KFC is out until they quit showing that hurl bowl.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
A2K you might want to check out http://www.gpsreview.net/ at least should give you some idea of what to look for. From the little bit of looking around at other sites I've done the garmin III+ seems to be popular. Personally I would look for one that can track off road trips then d/l the info to computer.

sgtboots, the "hurl bowl" is actually pretty good. I had one last week and will probably eat one again. And I dont even like chicken.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Garmin Extrex, had it for a couple years. Does bread crumb trails, draws your track. Compass, sunrise, sunset. Makes a good speedometer and odometer too. But no mapping, you need to look at your postion vs the map.

Just bought a like new, used IPAQ 3635 pocket pc with a Navman GPS 3540. The Navman slides on the IPAQ. The cds have the entire US maps, that can be loaded region by region on Compact Flash cards. Voice navigation and other things I haven't figured out how to use yet :roll:

My first Pocket PC ...... liking it so far :)

·
Registered
546 Posts
I would go with the new Garmin 60csx. I own the 60cs. It is the older model. The Magellans used to have one advantage over the garmins because they had expandable memory. Now the 60csx has expandable memory.

I have never filled up my memory yet. Iv'e trecked around the American Southwest, and Texas. Gone kayaking, and camping. Iv'e saved a track with each excursion. I still have yet to fill mine up. It's got a 256 color display and an adjustible backlight that's easy to use with direct sunlight. It also affords you long battery life. It also has alot of accessories too. I got the car kit and the neoprene carrying case that I stick on the front of my kayak. Its water proof as well.

I'm a geospatial proffessional. I use survey-grade $8,000 units every day. In my personal opinion, the Garmin 60csx, for around is the best value for your money. :D I froogled the lowest price for you. I would jump on it.

http://www.gpsblowout.com/product/Garmi ... rmin-60csx)-3983.html

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a Garmin Quest. I have used it for about 2 years now and love it - I don't know how I ever made it without a GPS before! The Quest is nice because it has all the features of giving directions, finding points of interest, etc, but it is also water resistant, very portable, has a 20 hour battery life, and is perfect for moving between a boat, car, 4wheeler, etc. Also, the size and shape makes it easy to carry if you want to take it hiking or something. I'd definately look into it.

THe only drawback to the quest is that the screen size is smaller than the streetpilot-type units. However, it has never been a problem for me or my 60 year old parents who bought one after they saw mine.

Any route you go, I'd recommend getting an external antenna if you plan to go offroad. Being down in a valley with trees hanging over the trail can knock out your signal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts