Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a navigation aid but want something that can be used for other things too. However, I don't like using my cell phone for that purpose. Basically I'm thinking a Kindle Fire or Tablet with an app. I like the idea of being able to navigate, watch a movie, surf the net and read a book from the same device. I'd like to upload offroad maps too though. Anyone know of anything like this for these? Searching through the adds on the net is hard to sort out. I'd like some input from a group that I know and trust.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I bought my wife a Fire for Christmas and I was really surprised at all it does. Streaming videos and surfing the net is fairly fast for a product that only cost two bills. There are tons of apps which I was also surprised by. If you're a member of Amazon Prime you get free book share and other free things. I don't know how well it'd do for GPS though. It's wi-fi only for now but a 3G is going to be coming out in the future. If your phone double as a hot spot it may work great for you. I'd suggest picking one up and giving it a try, I was unsure but the rep said if I wasn't happy just bring it back for a return. Amazon sold 5.5 million in the final quarter of 2011 so the apps and support should continue. Can't help you on the other tablets but thought I could share my opinion of the Fire. It's not for everyone but it works fine for us.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Kindle fire doesn't have gps. But you could load maps on it. And it is only wi-fi. No 3g option.

Motorola xoom would be great for what you want. Not too big, so you could mount it for your gps in the car. Can play most media formats. Wi-fi or 3g service.

Archos has some tablets that would be a little cheaper than the xoom that would work.

Also samsung and asus have some nice tablets. Not sure about their gps capabilities though.

·
Registered
556 Posts
Kindle runs Android apps and they are creating or have created one. Thats the reason I said if his phone acted as a hot spot it may work. Here's what I was talking about:

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/hopsto ... 2012-01-11

It may be smart to just go with a 3g tablet like GoodyMobb said. I liked the low price of the Kindle and my wife isn't very tech savy. So far its been a $200 solitare, angry bird and suduko gaming system.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Haha I've got a kindle fire and love it! But its mainly used by my daughter who takes it over whenever I have it out so she can watch sesame street on netflix.

Like I said, it doesn't have built in gps. So it could be functional if you have mobile wifie. Either your phone or mifi, something like that. But you would have to have cell service to be able to triangulate your position and in remote areas its not very accurate and sometimes you won't have it at all.

Also, not much memory on the kindle. Its based on cloud storage and downloading what you want from amazon over wi-fi. So a tablet would be able to hold more movies and things for on the go.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
check out expedition portal,there is tons of info there and lots of reviews on the tablet things in real life

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
I havent found any 1 GPS that works well for street and offroad. For offroad I use a Garmin E-Trex so I can load in waypoints and create a map track. It doesnt tell you how to get from point to point, have to figure that out for yourself, but is good at showing you where you've been LOL. As long as I have waypoints I can usually figure it out. Then the next time I do that trail I just load in the track from last time and I can just follow it.

For street GPS I just use Google Navigation on my phone and it works really well. I have a Droid X which is huge and about the same size as most GPS's.

If you want something that does everything you may have to look at a carputer.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts