Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, and hope to tap into this collective of Isuzoo wisdom. I am on my third Isuzu (priors 97 Trooper and 86 P'up- loved 'em); a '93 Rodeo 4WD. I picked it up for 350.00 last week. 3.2 V6 w/186K, and runs like a top...in first gear only. My research has shown the tranny to be listed as a 4L30E, but that is supposed to be a no-dipstick tranny, right? Mine most definitely has a dipstick. So, on the firewall data tag, it lists an "RMQ" trans code. Can anyone decipher this for me?
The kid who owned it was hauling scrap metal and seems to have smoked the clutch plates (I did the same thing with my Trooper). I have driven it and first gear is strong, but when it shifts to second the trans drops out. I am a long-time marine engine tech and have rebuilt many Velvet Drive marine transmissions, so the rebuild should pose no technical difficulties for me...but I need to know what transmission it actually is. Also, does a stronger bolt-in transmission exist for this vehicle, because I know the limitations of the 4L30E already...thanks for any and all advice.

·
Registered
5,475 Posts
Yes....if it's mated to the 3.2L it IS the 4L30 transmission.

91-95yrs DID come with a dipstick; 95.5-03 do NOT have the dipstick, but they all share the same automatic.

·
Registered
55 Posts
cybermako said:
Also, does a stronger bolt-in transmission exist for this vehicle, because I know the limitations of the 4L30E already...thanks for any and all advice.
Nothing wrong with the 4L30E if it's properly maintained. Mine's at 202K, has been driven plenty hard over the years, and never been apart. I know of lots of others here who are in the same ballpark after hauling boats, campers and other toys for years.

They're a good match for these trucks and will go the distance.

Dave

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I think after 2000 the 4L30 won't swap Ramblin, not positive, I know I have a '99 trans in mine, just lost my dipstick and had to use my mode switch. As for a stronger "bolt-in" transmission, there really isn't one that's "easy". You could do a 700R4, you could swap to a manual, you could swap to the Aisin auto, but all of them will require a good bit of work. If your up for the rebuild I say do it on your 4L30E (that's what is in there if it's 3.2 like stated) and run a nice large external trans cooler.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts