Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been looking for a vehicle lately since my 1997 Nissan has 310,500 miles and is starting to run bad.. I wanted something smaller with good gas milage and 4x4 so I decided to look for a Trooper. Been lurking on this forum for a few weeks now.. The other day I found a 1991 LS Trooper. It was on CL for over a month. Started off asking 2500 and then recently lowered it to 1900. I took a look at it the other day. Drove it. Crawled under it. Everything looked great. So today after the PO smoged it I picked it up for 1500. Totally stoked on it. has the 2.8 and 5 speed. I took it home and was washing the windows and noticed that it looked like someone did a bit of touch up paint on the back roof rain gutter area right above the rear doors. I thought it looked strange so I took my knife and picked at it and came to realize the entire rear rain gutter is rusted totally away. This ******* used a ton of bondo packed in the roof followed by some epoxy (still fresh smelling) and some masking tape. Then painted it white to match.. the WORST patch job Ive ever seen but it fooled me. I tried to call the dude and it just goes to his VM. Looked up his address that was not he pink to make sure its real and it was. The best thing is I looked at the Google street view and the Trooper can be seen! So I zoomed in on the truck and I can see its rusted. So I know this *** fixed it just to sell it.. Now I am pissed and am wondering what else if messed up and hidden.. Going to take it to my friends body shop Monday and see what he thinks about it. But I don't have a good feeling about it.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Sorry to hear about the rust. Hopefully that's not just the first of many rust spots on it.
Let us know what you find out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just really pissed about it. The guy really seemed honest and cool. I talked to him for at least an hour about the truck and all the cool places he's been with it. The undercarriage doesn't have any rust that I can see. Not even in the frame rails. Just that area in the back. My first action is to get him to give me my money back. Since he lied about the condition and tried to hide it. If that doesn't work ill convince him he should do the right thing. Ill also take it to the shop and get an idea if they can even fix it. I guess I could find another Trooper at the JY and cut the rear roof off it and have the shop fab it back on? IDK. I'm too mad to think about it anymore.

On the good side. I like driving it. Its gutless but I knew that going into it. I planned to seem my other vehicle and get the GM 3.4 for it.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
get a tyre valve unscrewer, take out the inner valves every night for a week

·
Registered
258 Posts
chikoroll said:
get a tyre valve unscrewer, take out the inner valves every night for a week
That'd be sweet revenge. Non-harmful, yet totally annoying. I love it. :lol:

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
slainer said:
Mabe you should just not worry about it and drive the sucker for a year and look for a better trooper.
^That^

And then sell this one to someone who will appreciate a good truck despite some rust.

:D :D :D

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
See what your friend has to say ! It might be repairable. Then you can take it back by to the guy and say hey dumb *** this is how you fix stuff right. Bitch slap him and then drive away lol.
I'm sorry dude that crooked as hell !!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
I can understand your disappointment but buying anything used (or even new for that matter) is a roll of the dice and as always buyer beware. Often buying a used vehicle your going to find things not 100%. Not directed towards you, but anyone that thinks they are going to buy a used 4X4, especially a 91 and not find faults is in for a rude awaking. Sure, the guy could have left the rust exposed I guess but again we're talking about a 91. If the frame isn't rusted I'd be happy with it, maybe do a better rust repair and enjoy it!
I bought my 91 2.6 in Illinois from a guy that had made several trips back and forth to Colorado with it, saying he'd not hesitate to drive it back out there. I get it home and no 4 wheel drive as a hub is trashed, dig a little deeper and end up needing a hub, steering knuckle, and new cv joint. Sure, I'd rather it have been perfect but I'm still happy with it as it has a rust free frame, everything else can be addressed as time allows.

·
Banned
3,178 Posts
2.8 5 speed Troopers are the best combo they ever made. I'd say you got a good deal even if the whole roof was missing. Just fix it and enjoy the ehing or sell it to me and I'll fix it. I can understand being pissed off but when you buy a 20 year old truck it's your responsibility to check it out. I've had people take vehicles to a mechanic and a body shop before they agreed to buy it. There's nothing illegal about doing that. Consider it a lesson learned. I've heard of saw dust in transmissions, leather straps in the place of spun rods, etc... I'd say you got off easy with a little rust.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called the guy an yelled at him and he came and gave me 100 bucks back. Going to take it to the body shop tomorrow to see what can be done. When I drive on the highway the head liner billows up from all the wind going in the back between the roof and the liner.

After reading about 1000 threads on here I knew I wanted to get the 2.8 5 speed so I could swap the motor and basically have a new vehicle after putting some TLC in it. JThe roof fix is going to take away from the cash I have for a crate motor. =(

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
lmao.....you yelled at the guy on the phone and he brought you $100.......that's some funny **** right there, LOL. Sorry to hear about the rust, I've got severe cancer on mine and it sux.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well I do know where he lives. And I am 6'7 260 with a lot of tattoos. I think I convinced him to try to make things right.. =)

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
You could always just go get a good body from Johnyfive and swap it for the rusty one. He has lot's of Troopers and parts.

·
Registered
65 Posts
squatch said:
You could always just go get a good body from Johnyfive and swap it for the rusty one. He has lot's of Troopers and parts.
exactly, why yell at the guy, you got a decent shaped 4x4 for 1400 bucks. talk to ******* and just get a body from him, he has plenty if you havent seen his thread.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I haven't seen his thread. thats a good idea tho. Tomorrow I am going to see what my buddy at the body shop says. Then I'm going to San Diego to check out a 91 at a auto dismantler they just got in. Going to get some things off it and ask about maybe getting the body since its local and I wouldn't have to deal with shipping.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Sign him up for free info. I did it to myself once. BIG MISTAKE! Enter his info and they will call him at 6:30/7am every morning. When he picks up the phone there wont be anyone there. They will call him 5 times a day and never respond when he answers. Only thing he can do is have the phone company block the number.
https://www.smcorp.com/default.asp

·
Premium Member
4,350 Posts
check the wheel wells and under the carpet... I got nailed once on that with my 89...sorry bro, It will get better.

cheers
-Ian :blackeye:

·
Registered
9,936 Posts
If it makes you feel better, I once bought a car sight unseen, cost me about 10k, and it turned out to be a TOTAL rust bucket. Ended up selling it for $5,500 because of its rarity, but I lost about $6000 in the process. So, don't stress to much.

Bart

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The body shop said they couldn't fix it. BUT I got a few ideas to "fix" it myself. Going to clean up the gutter area and take the headliner off in the back section to get to the roof easier. Then fill it with some 3M epoxy my friend said would work great on it. Ill make a dam with duct tape from the inside and under the chrome around the drip rail and fill it in with the epoxy. He said it will totally bond really well and is still just a tiny bit flexible so it won't end up crashing a few months down the road when the truck flexes.. Then ill just give it a good blast of rattle can paint and call it done.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts