21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
Skeletor said:
giusedtobe said:
JoeIsuzu said:
Enemigo said:
there lies the problem...as older isuzu parts continue to dry up..
Here's one that fits this thread: In my little work fleet, I have 2 2019 Ford Transit Connect minivans. One of them got hit in it's parking space by a hit and leave driver. The driver side sliding door is damaged. FORD has a few OEM new replacement doors, but refuses to release them to ANY body shop other than a Ford dealer shop. There is no projected manufacture date for any more doors, and no door skins available. Currently there are ZERO used doors available in the US. My body work vendor is on a waiting list for a door. One more reason to NOT buy a Ford product. Dennis

·
Registered
705 Posts
DSUZU said:
Skeletor said:
giusedtobe said:
JoeIsuzu said:
Enemigo said:
there lies the problem...as older isuzu parts continue to dry up..
One more reason to NOT buy a Ford product. Dennis
Wow I hate to hear that. I've preferred Ford amongst the domestic brands but stuff like this does bother me. I would be surprised if they all aren't doing similar things.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
I think those things are built in Spain and Turkey. Probably can't get any replacement parts on a boat.

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
gwana66 said:
I think those things are built in Spain and Turkey. Probably can't get any replacement parts on a boat.
To not hijack, I'm starting a new thread to be called "Ford". Dennis

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
well.....after 4 weeks at the bump shop, my '97 4 Runner came home today..over $ 9,300 in repairs...from fender, wheel, rim, fender, front bumper, misc suspension parts, and more...they did OUTSTANDING job, in bringing my 4 Runner back from oblivion...as the insurance company was all too keen to TOTAL her out..and send her to the scrap yard..to be crushed, etc

Attachments

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
I'm trying to wrap my head around this.

That doesn't look like enough damage to total a vehicle.
That also doesn't look like enough damage to cost $9,300. But I've lost all sense of reality of what things cost now a days anyway.
I know that 4Runners hold their value, but is a '97 even worth $9,300? That's not me trying to be rude. I'm honestly curious.

·
Registered
10,233 Posts
"Total" doesn't have to equal the actual value of the vehicle, it only has to be a PERCENTAGE of the value. The other factor is "hidden damage". There can be structural damage (bent frame, brackets, etc.) that add to the cost. That's what killed my Subaru when it looked like "slap a new fender and plastic bumper on there and go". It also depends on the shop. With quality shops charging up to 5K for a quality paint job, it adds up quickly.
Glad you got to keep your truck. Dennis

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
DSUZU said:
"Total" doesn't have to equal the actual value of the vehicle, it only has to be a PERCENTAGE of the value. The other factor is "hidden damage". There can be structural damage (bent frame, brackets, etc.) that add to the cost. That's what killed my Subaru when it looked like "slap a new fender and plastic bumper on there and go". It also depends on the shop. With quality shops charging up to 5K for a quality paint job, it adds up quickly.
Glad you got to keep your truck. Dennis
you nailed it exactly...and yeah, a quality paint job does cost bucks..from prepping the area, to final painting..problem being, some people want quality paint job at maalco prices....and the majority of low budget paint jobs, are horrid.....trust me, I've seen my share of 'em.....pencil in other costs....like parts, and hourly labour..which costs....add it all together...and voila, large bill....to the previous question..yes, it was worth it to me....every gosh darn dime. and yes, 4 Runners, especially gen 3's, hold prices very well...during the time my vehicle was in repair limbo, I quietly searched the tri-state area..looking for a similar 4 runner..or a gen 4 or 5...the what few Gen 3's..were going for anywhere from 4k to 10K plus...depending how tricked out they were, etc.....I did see a few gen 3's for around 1500 but, they were trashed out. or suffered the dreaded frame rot...the newer 4 runners...I was looking at 20K plus....easy.......so I made the decision to spend ' x ' number of dollars to repair my '97 Limited....and guess what ? the shop exceeded my expectations..they did a first rate job...and right now, I have a virtually new truck....and one of the factors I looked at, I know EXACTLY what I had with my '97. no surprises...where a 'new' used vehicle, there's that shake down period..seeing what holds up...and what could be ready for potential failure, etc....one way or another, I was going to spend the money....and bottom line, you can't put a price on pleasure.....next month, I'll have the pleasure of court, with the dishonest insurance company, and I'll win..and re coop my money...and you know what ? even if I don't get back one red cent...I still would have REPAIRED my 4 Runner.......

Attachments

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,905 Posts
Skeletor, who did your bodywork and paint? Do you recommend them? I'm looking for someone to paint my P'up, and although I've found someone, I'm not committed yet.

Jack

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
JoeIsuzu said:
Skeletor, who did your bodywork and paint? Do you recommend them? I'm looking for someone to paint my P'up, and although I've found someone, I'm not committed yet.

Jack
hey Jack, thanks for checking in...The shop that handled my 4Runner...is Brewer's located on poplar near cleveland. yeah, I would recommend them..they do good work..have used 'em for both my Fiero..and the 4 runner......Check with Mr. Brewer (owner) or Tracy (office mgr) and go from there..good luck

·
Registered
Original owner, 1983 P'up LS (diesel)
2,905 Posts
Skeletor said:
JoeIsuzu said:

Jack
hey Jack, thanks for checking in...The shop that handled my 4Runner...is Brewer's located on poplar near cleveland. yeah, I would recommend them..they do good work..have used 'em for both my Fiero..and the 4 runner......Check with Mr. Brewer (owner) or Tracy (office mgr) and go from there..good luck
I'll check with them (but it's possible I already have). So many shops nowadays won't touch a whole paint job -- collision work only.

Jack

·
Registered
394 Posts
Font Art Happy Extinction Photo caption

I've thought about using Hagerty insurance, as they are great with classic cars...but maybe older Isuzus aren't quite there yet?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.