Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I finally decided to just go ahead and order my new head for my 85 troop (430 bucks) instead of messing with new engines and what not. I went ahead and pulled the water pump to make sure it was still in good shape and from what I can tell its fine but I don't know hardly anything about water pumps other than they spin an move water. Should I go ahead and replace it now since the motor is basically disassembled all the way or just put the old one back in there? Its not too rusty but its got regular rust on the propeller. Like I said I have no clue about water pumps so whatever you guys think.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Well, I've no idea what kind of shape your pump is in of course.

If you have any doubt, now's the time to do it while you have it apart.

They're not that pricey so it's pretty cheap insurance.

Jim

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
The question you need to ask yourself is: would you like to tear everything down to the point you have it now just to change the water pump?

Probably not, go ahead and put a new timing belt on as well. Both are cheap insurance.

Joe

·
Registered
790 Posts
Its a 1.9L so you'd be looking at a timing chain instead of belt, and I doubt you have it torn down far enough to replace the chain. The 1.9L water pump is also fairly easy to replace compared to a 2.3 or 2.6 motor. That should factor into it.

Basically, they leak around the shaft and that is about it. On rare occasions I've seen the impeller come off the shaft but it is a fluke kind of thing. The impeller doesn't really wear off to any noticable degree. If it were me, I'd look for signs of leakage and replace if there is any. I'd also consider replacing it if the rig has been sitting for a number of years not running too. Otherwise, I'd get a new gasket and put the old one back on.

One other point, have you figured out why it overheated and blew the head in the first place? You may want to look at the radiator, replace the thermostat, and give a bit more weight to replacing the pump if it looks odd at all. There should be a reason for your head problems somewhere in the cooling system.

·
Registered
7,208 Posts
If in doubt I'd go ahead and change it. A new one for the 2.6 was about 35 bucks at the parts place. It would be worth that to know you had a good pump.

Joe

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
bigpoppax2 said:
If in doubt I'd go ahead and change it. A new one for the 2.6 was about 35 bucks at the parts place. It would be worth that to know you had a good pump.

Joe
Yup, yep, & yeper.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts