Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a manual shift lever issue on my 94 Rodeo. the PO cut off the threads for the knob, I can only assume to make it a boy-racer short throw shifter. Not that I don't appreciate ingenuity and creative problem solving, but I hate the stupid 8 ball shifter on it that clamps on with a set screw. I realize I need to replace the whole lever, but my crappy Chilton's manual has no illustrations or actual directions other than to simply "remove the bolts". I looked at a rodeo at the jy that had the assy uncovered and it looked like it's a remote shifter kind of setup-am I wrong? or stupider than usual? how hard is it to remover the lever? can I do it without dropping the tranny? I have the original shift knob from my 89 Trooper that I want to use. I've ruminated over some way to without welding attach a section of the correct size bolt threads to the pathetic stump but realize it's a jackass-crack-baby idea. :idea:
Help!

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
Maybe looking at an exploded view at www.myisuzuparts.com would help you. It does state remote shifter, which kind of surprised me. I assumed they were like my 91 Troopers but evidently not. Still looked like a few bolts and the shifter pulls straight up with the cover. Most salvage yards I've dealt with wouldn't be interested in selling just the shift lever off an otherwise good transmission but maybe you'll get lucky. Likely someone more knowledgeable will post, just thought I'd point you towards that site if it helped.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
They all have the offset remote setup. You can pull that one from the rodeo at the junkyard and put right into yours if you want. I think there's three bolts is all. Just look for all the screws in the consol, to be able to remove them and then you'll uncover the big rubber boot. It either pops loose or has screws I cant remember. I think you'll have to start by removing the armrest assembly first.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks guys, i appreciate the info. Yeah, i was surprised at the distinctly non-trooper setup myself. I know a yard that will let me pull any part or bolt, they don't care!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speaking of wiggle, is there something as simple as a bushing to make it nice and tight again? mine just kind of flops around like it has narcolepsy. I was afraid it was more complex, like internal doodads or spring loaded widgets.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guess what!! I checked out a favorite JY this morning on the way to a job, and checked out the Passport I ganked the seats and other stuff from, and guess what I found? come on, take a guess? That's right!! A shift lever! And someone was kind enough to remove it from the transmission, along with its huge, perfectly preserved rubber isolator/grommet thingy. They were sitting together on the driver's floor board area, almost like they were waiting for me!! The best part is, my fretting over how hard it might have been to change the old desecrated one out was all for nothing. As a wise forum Isuzuer mentioned, only three bolts and it practically removed itself! Took me all of 5 minutes and my Rodeo was healed. And man does it run quieter now. The old rubber thing was torn about 300 out of 360 degrees around the bottom pleat, and was letting in a great deal of engine noise from my Hybrid Gas/Diesel 3.2. And the plastic parts that isolate and locate the lever were in great shape so I don't need to use a Psychic to tell me if I'm shifting in to 3rd or 5th anymore. Much tighter and snappier. I'm a happy boy. I was going to use the shift knob off my 89 trooper but I didn't. In fact, I totally desecrated it and tossed it. A couple years ago when I got my Mighty Max I was on a personal quest to acquire the perfect shift knob. I probably bought 10 different knobs from wrecking yards to try out and compare. My favorites were from a Nissan Pathfinder and Mitsu Montero SR. In fact, it was the knob for the Monty transfer case I liked best. They have a really unusual angular form. I'll take a photo tomorrow, and then everyone will want one. So, I cut the trooper's knob up to remove the cool shift pattern button and put it in place of the stock monty transfer case button. I also have one on my transfer case, of course. The coolest thing is that it has 4LLC, 4HLC and a few other mysterious inscriptions on it which make it even cooler. And the best part? The lever and rubber thing cost me a whopping 8.52!!! So I spent my lunch money on it and found a 3 day old gas station sandwich in a tool bucket and had that for lunch. It can't get any better than this.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
Lol quite the adventure and conquest I say !!! That's awesome news !!
I'm glad you found a perfect candidate. I wanna see a pic of course of the cool shifter handle :twisted:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay, so here are a few pics of my most coveted possession-the perfect shift knob. Yes, the pattern is upside down on the transfer stick, but I'll rectify that as soon as I find a similar button. Again, these came off a 90's Mitsubishi Montero, either manual or auto tranny.

Attachments

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks! the best thing is the shape-just feels perfect.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cronk said:
For some reason when I read your post header it makes me think of Beldar Conehead. :D
Hah! I was trying to figure out where I stole that term!! Of course, you realize this bit of trivia is betraying your age :lol: I've always wanted to visit Remulac, I hear it's nice this time of year.

·
Registered
13,615 Posts
I love it when a plan comes together... 8)
I think my 2000 shifter knob has that smooth textured shape lol. I'll have to feel it up tomorrow morning... :wink: :idea:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
bradzuzu said:
I love it when a plan comes together... 8)
I think my 2000 shifter knob has that smooth textured shape lol. I'll have to feel it up tomorrow morning... :wink: :idea:
:oops: :!:

·
Registered
2,377 Posts
New shipter with knob and a used sammich for less than $10 ... you lead a charmed life. :thumbup:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bradzuzu said:
The centers don't pop out of the shifters do they ???mine needs some shinies !!!
Why, yes, bradzuzu, they certainly do-at least on mine they do.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts