Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello my troopin' friends...I am considering a solid front axle conversion on my 86 trooper, I have my eye on a chevy 10bolt or the like, has anyone ever tried/done something like this?? any ideas or info on the subject would be greatly appreciated! :arrow:

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Is the chevy 10 bolt a driver side drop or passenger? I thought most of the shovy stuff was driver side drop unless you went pretty far back.

The best solution, or should I say the easiest to find and possibly the cheapest would be the 74-79 Jeep Wagoneer axle. It has the correct width and the passenger side drop you need.

Be forwarned the cost of a SAS is typically in the 2500 range once you re-gear and put all of your steering together and whatnot.

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2500, man that's steep...all the 10 bolts on 4x4 chevys are passenger pumpkin (up to 1991 K5 and suburbans). I'm gonna price stuff in detail and see what i can come up with...I know I can get a 10bolt from a buddy for 100 bucks with the springs, so that's a good start so far...

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Well

Buy steel to make all the parts and piece you will need (spring hangers, shock tabs, shackles.....)
Rent or buy a set of torches to torch off all the IFS stuff
Grinding wheels and whatnot to clean up the frame
Buy the shock towers
Shocks
Brakes
Brake lines
Possibly new rotors and calipers
Buy the ring and pinion gears
Setup the gears
Buy lockers
Pay to have lockers installed (or self install)
You really should put new bearings and seals in the donor axle
Steering setup
Custom front driveshaft made

I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff but it's not as simple as throwing an axle under a truck. You can see there are lots of little things that add up.

Plus if you can't set gears up or use a cutting torch or weld, wow I don't want to see that shop bill for a SAS at shop rates.

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can do just about everything you listed, except build my own drive shaft...I have about a grand to spend on this conversion...you think it'll cover it...thanx dude for all the info...

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, this is gonna be an off-road only vehicle except for the few paved roads to get off-road so, I will be "MillerLocking" the diffs with my MIG, as for the steering, I can't seem to find much info on that, I'll have to try several things till I find something that works, well see how it goes. I won't be starting this project till January so that gives me some time to get all the stuff together. Greetings and Salutations my fellow Troopers!

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
The best route to go would be this kit:

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915|1109488&PRID=1380497

Oh you'll need a spring over kit for the rear:

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915|1287603&PRID=1128058

For the steering

http://www.independent4x.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=839915|1320227&PRID=1410896

Right there is 1100 dollars in parts, not counting the nut and bolt type stuff that you will have to have like I mentioned before to get your axle worth running. A sas isn't cheap. Matt may help you out on cost a bit if you were to order that much stuff at once, but don't forget shipping costs.

Joe[/img]

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
This was all for the D44 Waggy axle, you'd also want to get the flat top knuckles to make that steering setup work.

I'm not sure you'd be able to source anything like these kits I've shown for the Chevy 10 bolt. Not sure if flat top knuckles are even available.

Joe

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bigpoppax2, you are the man!!! :lol: :lol: Thanx brutha for all the great info, I'm set on doing this conversion so i'm gonna try my best, if i can build a part instead of buying one, i'll built it myself as long as it is absolutely safe and strong, this way to save as much dough as possible. Thanks again my man!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yep, there's flat top knuckles on older front chevy D44's. I believe I can get this one from my buddy as well, I'll keep in touch w/independent4x and take from there, they seem to know our trucks very well. thanx dude!

·
Registered
7,210 Posts
Yeah I know there are flat tops for D44 front ends, what I'm not sure of is what there is available for the Chevy 10 bolt front end.

To be clear all of the parts I just posted up were for use with a D44 Waggy axle. I'm sure some of them can be used either way, but talk with Matt at Indy4x and see what he thinks.

He'll give you a good idea on what the whole thing will cost you as well, considering he's done more than a few SAS's.

Joe

·
Registered
558 Posts
pre 78 Chev D44s will be flat tops if memory serves. As far as the 10bolts, they are basicly the same as the D44s as far as spring perches and what not so the D44 swap kits should work no problems.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.