Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
It is not common but any engine can become an oil burner. Cheap oil makes the problem worse.

I would try the Rotella oil others on this board are using on the 3.5/3.2 oil burners.

Also valve stem seals on the intake can get old and loose and will allow oil to bleed down into the cylinder. Also the intake us under vacuum so a slightly worn guide will allow vacuum so simply suck oil into the intake. If you notice blue smoke on startup its time to investigate those seals.

Just note that badly worn guides will wipe new seals out the first time it runs so you need to check the slop with the springs off. If they check out ok then install new Viton valve stem seals. Buy a set for the exhaust also. They don't come with them stock but adding them improves sealing on the exhaust. You can then ditch the oil control umbrella that is under the exhaust retainer.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
littlegray said:
Soo.... Finally pulled the plugs and tested the compression. Here are the results:

Rear Pass - Rear Driver
110 - 120
110 - 120
90 - 110

I didn't wet test the rings as I'll replace the motor before doing just the heads. Sure runs good for such low numbers (assuming my gauge is accurate).
Was the throttle open and the plugs removed from all other cylinders?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Remove all the plugs from the motor and have the person who is cranking the motor over hold the throttle open when you run the test. I would recommend disconnecting the injectors too.

If the starter cannot spin the motor at a proper speed you will not get a good reading.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts