Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have done the valve seal change on two of my troopers. One was even fouling a plug. You could never see any smoke and the plugs looked normal. If you are going under the valve covers do it right the first time.
Replace the valve springs with early 327 springs, install a set of roller rockers and install Pontiac Fiero aluminum valve covers with the silicone seals. Engine will not leak any more, will rev better then new and burn no oil.

John in Marysville

·
Registered
299 Posts
Do a search for Comp Cams #1414-12 find the best prices.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/CCA-1414-12/

Geoff Moore (betterthenyou) did a good write up on installing the valve covers.
http://members.shaw.ca/betterthanyoutoo ... covers.htm I used FelPro Gaskets

I buy parts from Ebay, Rockauto, and Autozone depending on the price and how fast I want them. Hardly ever buy parts from the stealership.

If you are going to do a water pump you might as well do a timing chain and dampner.

GM Part Numbers 12363215 â€" Valve Spring
This valve spring is used in the new 3.4-liter engine conversion package
(P/N 12363230) and designed for moderate performance usage.
Manufactured from chrome silicon wire, this spring produces 105 pounds of
seat pressure at an installed height of 1.70" and 296 pounds open pressure
at a height of 1.20".
Technical Note: Use with retainer P/N 12363216 "

These are the springs I ended up using--

1.25" OD early Z28 Lt1 springs. Both Crane and Comp Cams use these springs with there 60* v-6 cam kits. The last two sets of springs I got off Ebay with locks and retainers for $40 each.

All this depends on a good compression test, no use throwing money into a block with warn out rings.

I have 265K miles on the engine now. I put a new timing chain and valve springs and seals on when High oil consumption started at about 140K miles.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
299 Posts
Timing Chains stretch and brake the Dampner that is mounted between the cam and crank. The slack will cause your timing to change with acceleracion and deceleracion.

I was going thru 1/2 quart every 1000 Miles depending on how much time I spent above 3000 RPM.

Look into replacing the distributor O-ring and puting a new coating of dielectric compound on the bottom of the ignition modual in the distributor.

John

·
Registered
299 Posts
Break it up into two phases. One the valve related items. Two the timing chain, water pump and hose items.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts