Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if others have oil burning issues with the GM v6.

My 3.1L has 140k on it and loses 1qt/1,000 miles. I haven't seen any oil drips on the ground so I assume it's burning it although I've never seen it smoke. I use standard 10-30 oil.

What have you guys experienced? Ideas to decrease oil consumption?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll check the valve seals and slop when I replace the valve covers and do a compression check at the same time. I haven't noticed smoke on start up.

What should the compression psi be?

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ruination said:
I think I was 2,000 miles over on my last oil change and was still in the OK range... my 3.1 has somewhere around 260k on it. :wink:
That's nuts! You have a solid motor. I'll check the compression and go from there.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just ordered the Fiero valve covers. Where did you buy the valve springs, roller rockers and silicone seals?

I'll do the plugs, wires, rotor, etc when I do the project. Also, probably change the hoses and water pump.

Any recommendation for water pump? Dealer wants about $200 for one. I don't trust most aftermarket parts but any you guys would recommend?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That is extremely helpful. Thank you for the valve cover link too (excellent write up Geoff). I'll keep you guys posted when I dig into it in a month or so.

Do the timing chains go bad? I thought it would be a non-issue with a push rod motor.

How much oil where you going through at 140K?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is starting to sound like a big project. I'll let you guys know what I find out from the compression check.

I really appreciate your advise John. Thanks.

-Peter

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Soo.... Finally pulled the plugs and tested the compression. Here are the results:

Rear Pass - Rear Driver
110 - 120
110 - 120
90 - 110

I didn't wet test the rings as I'll replace the motor before doing just the heads. Sure runs good for such low numbers (assuming my gauge is accurate).

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I had all the passenger plugs pulled. The driver side had one plug pulled at a time. It was closed throttle. I watched the gauge and kept cranking until the needle stopped moving. How do you recommend doing it?

Yes. I think the 3.4L swap will be the direction I look to go.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I pulled the EFI and Fuel Pump fuse. The gauge jumped quickly for the first 3 rotations. Then rotation 4 & 5 it was stationary. I'm considering the 3.4 swap so I'm not too concerned about this motor. It doesn't leak anywhere but does use oil and has an exhaust leak at the manifold. I'd rather replace the motor than deal around with a 20 yr old motor issues. I'll definitely need some advise and direction when the time comes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts