Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When mudding around here I get a mixture of mud and organic matter impacted all up in my calipers. It's pretty much impossible to get out by just blasting it with a garden hose. I'd leave it in except the particular make up of this mud makes my brakes squeek like hell. I pretty much have to give myself a brake job minus the new pads to get it all cleaned up. Even then this mud leaves a tenacious film on everything and the brakes can still squeek. I'm wondering if anyone has a trick for blasting out the mud. A special nozzle ? What about removing the thin film of mud from the brake and disk surface. Maybe some sort of cleaner? Standard brake cleaner doesn't do much for the mud. What about running without the inner disk guards? Would make it easier to clean inner disk surface.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lots and lots of Deep Creep, or a pressure washer works well. I've still got caked up mud from about 8 months ago under my Rodeo, but a pressure washer has gotten most of it off.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Gizmo42 said:
Dont drive in mud?

:lol:

Mud sucks! PITA to clean off every time. Also, alternators on 3.2s and 3.5s dont like it. Kills them pretty quick.
But mud is so much fun, and the chicks dig it lol!

On the flip side mud is also really really bad...I've heard our alternators hate mud too

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I don't run the inner dust shield. Makes back side cleaning easier. I would do that along with pressure washing.

·
Registered
677 Posts
At Home Depot and Lowes they sell a nozzle for a garden hose that looks like a cap with a short thin nozzle. That little thing caused a regular garden hose to have almost as much pressure as a pressure washer/steam cleaner.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

The thing is cheap and works well. We own three of them. One for our patio, one that I use on the truck, and one as a spare. The spare is still sitting on a shelf after three years of owning then.

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
TKEPA251 said:
But mud is so much fun, and the chicks dig it lol!
Plus, it is good for a belly laugh when someone takes a pic of their rig, and/or themselves, and the mud was obviously thrown on it/them. And not just naturally splashed.

:wink:

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I got over mudding real quick:

By catfuzz89 at 2010-09-19

THAT was a PITA.

·
Registered
676 Posts
CatFuzz said:

By catfuzz89 at 2010-09-19

THAT was a PITA.
GOOD LORD!!! That looks awesome though, you gotta admit!

Selador, I agree lol. It's only cool if you get buried to the axles and have the sprayed mud all over your rig. Until you gotta wash it off, then it loses the fun factor

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok so I sprayed the brakes down with Simple Green cleaner, let them soak about 20 seconds and hosed them off. It seems to have removed the mud film on the disks and stopped the squeeks. I'll bet blasting them off at the car wash with high pressure soap would work well. I'm going to fashion a nozzle with a 90 deg or 180 deg bend to get into the caliper.

Thanks

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
CatFuzz said:

THAT was a PITA.
I got over it pretty much the same way you did. (crappy cell phone pics with a finger in the way)

Had to pull my whole interior too. Can still smell it when the carpet gets wet. 2nd pic was AFTER all the water traveled from the back to the front and about 50 gallons ran out the door.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts