Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Five shops later,"No help."

I start my 2nd Gen '01 Rodeo Sport 3.2 VD1 ... BY KEY ... tough start, and when it starts running, it's like in a "safe mode" ( loss of power and check engine flashing ) when you step on the gas. ---->

BUT: If you use the aftermarket alarm key fob ( unlock and lock together simultaneously ) it starts right up easily and has no problems the entire drive. ??????? I would have yanked the alarm if it was the other way around.

Does any one know enough about "auto start systems" and factory ones, enough to know if their are independent relays for each system? ( one by key and ECM ... and/or one for the alarm system ) ............... OR could I have a problem in the ignition switch to fuel system??? AGAIN : It is only a problem when using the KEY, manually, to start my Rodeo.

Another symptom: Continual cranking with key (maybe 2-3 key attempts? before she starts up) and if I just use the key fob at anytime, even after trying by key, it starts quickly and runs fine.

Yeah, I can just keep using the autostart, but I rather get it all troubleshot and fixed right.

So? Any input? I have been bouncing this off shop guys and any buddies of mine, worth asking anyway ... The relay thing/ignition switch made the most sense, so far.??? If there are more than one relays, that is??

Appreciate the help in advance!!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this a problem with the key when it is off the key chain?

Recently we read that the ignition switches are being made with poorer quality metals (who woulda thought that?) and they are prone to failures due to the weight of extra keys and accessories that hang on the key chain.

Don't know if that can help at this stage in the game you are in but it is worth looking into.

Hope that helps,
Janice

·
Registered
11,778 Posts
What is the make and model of your alarm/remote start unit? It sounds like your running on 3 cylinders when you start using the ignition key. The alarm installation may be incorrect.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for input, Janice! "No kidding." on the cheaper metals ... and plastics. Like I said, definitely looking at the ignition switch and relays.

As far as the alarm it is an AVITAL. I heard it is not the best, but not the worst either. It has been working in all of it's segments so far. Even through this, with the "auto start". It was on the Rodeo when I bought it used at 30k, and I now have 150k + on it.
I do 95% of all my own maintenance/repairs. Fuel pump/sending unit redone at about 60k. Timing Belt is the only thing I had a shop do, at about 125k.

Have a good 4th!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts