Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am looking at options for lifting the rear of my trooper. I like the way my OEM springs ride offroad, but I need a little more clearance. I see four options:

1. Add-a-leaf - not a fan
2. Longer shackle - not a fan
3. Spring over - decent design, but too much lift I think
4. OME Dakar springs - seem like the best option, BUT:

I am worried about them being too stiff. More leaves, a thicker overall pack, comments here on the forum all lead me to think this will be the case. Lorenzo816 makes some comments in this thread http://forum.planetisuzoo.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40644&hilit=dakar+springs about the springs being stiffer and not flexing as much. Anyone else have real world offroad (I am not interested in how the handle on the road) experience with these springs?

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I have run a Calmini shackle lift for years with no complaints.
But these days I'm running OME springs. You must be reading the wrong threads. OME springs with matching shocks are amazing. I'm running the stiffest set they make (029) and though the ride is a little stiff it is very acceptable. They make something like 6 different springs sets for the 1st gen Trooper. Different spring rates for both primary and overload functions. Not every dealer sells all of them. 028s are the norm for most folks.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I am running them and they are great off road. They flex very well. I also have extended shackles with them and OME shocks. I never saw 029 springs listed on ARB's application guide. I am using the 028 springs.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I don't know if Matt still carries them. If I recall correctly at the time I bought mine Indy 4x had a couple of rear leaf part #s that aren't normally imported to the states unless special ordered. I think at that time they had these springs. I do not know if these part numbers are still avail or if the specs have changed. I list them as an example of the variation you can get in springs. Also remember any good spring shop can make custom leaf springs for most anything and several shops specialize in doing that for 4x4s. The cost can be pretty reasonable.

OME Part#, primary spring rate in lbs, overload rate in lbs. (this is spring rate not load capacity)

024R.......205 primary........450max
025R.......319 p...............580m
028R.......170 p...............457m
029R.......216 p...............616max

I believe stock primary rate is around 165-175lbs if I recall correctly. (don't hold me to it). The above are my notes from when I bought mine.
I don't recommend 029s for DD empty truck. Way overkill. Perfect if you load it like I do towing though. Max spring rate on the 3 stage overload is 3/4 - 1 ton truck range!

Here is a pic of stock vs my OME 029's and shocks.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
I went back and read Lorenzo's thread. I'll make a couple of points. These springs DO NOT have military eyes in Zoo applications. If so he would not have had to strap his spring when it broke. A military wrap is where the 2nd leaf also loosely wraps over the spring eye at each end. That way if the main eye braks you have back up. The pics also showed a lot of rock beating impacts on the springs in the front eye area. I think his bouncy part had a lot to do with not adding OME shocks when he added the springs. Don't know for sure but i'm thinking he used 025 springs to get 3" of lift. They are very stiff both initially and loaded. Check above.

OME makes a great set of stock height shackles and GREASABLE bushings for the springs front and rear. I highly recomend them. They are fluted for the grease to flow to the pivots.

Based on my experience with my springs and the spring rates! I would think 028 would ride just fine. I may be adding a set of those to another project myself soon if I can swing it.

The only complaint I have with the OME springs is the paint is very short lived.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I put a set of the OME 028's on one of my troopers last year. Raised the back 1 to ¾ of an inch. I have Rancho 9000 shocks on it. It rides a little stiffer but the old springs had 295K miles on them so who knows. OME says you can remove one of the two overload springs if you want. I am going to wait and see if they loosen up a little with age. I bought mine from a shop near Salt Lake City on Ebay for a great price. I see he still has some listed.

John

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
betterthanyou said:
I wonder if the 029 spring pack is now just the 028 pack with the overload leaf added.
Best I can tell there is a different mix of leaves. Plus 3 overloads. I've never held them side by side but did compare pics of mine to someone elses 028 pics and a couple of leaves and spring clamps are different. Check the spring rates above. Primary rate is different as well as secondary. I'm sure they share some leaves in the pack but probably not all. That's what makes OME differnent than other companies. Different models of stuff are designed for different purposes and tested and then built once they are happy with the results.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I also ordered the 029's from INDY a while back with OME shocks to compliment. I would say they are pretty stiff unloaded, but when you add weight they handle amazingly well. I can load my truck with 45 gallons of WVO in cubes and both fuel tanks full, plus tools and 3 people in the back and it handles wonderfully with no bouncing or swaying.I would also recommend the grease-able shackles as I went with INDY's non-grease and they are squeaking after a year and a half. And I also concur on the paint the springs come with, not too durable. I would imagine that you could clear coat them if you wanted to keep em lookin' fresh...

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
Eventually I'm going to paint mine with EZ-Slide. It's one of several graphite impregnated paints for farm implements. For coating plows and grain truck beds ect. Makes things slippery. I've used it on other projects.

http://www.tractorsupply.com/harvesting ... l--2120107

1 - 11 of 11 Posts