Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Talk to me about what you all are using for roof racks....name brands, sizes, availability, even pictures...I am purchasing a Trooper tomorrow and I haven't been able to source a good looking roof rack, thanks.

·
Registered
10,560 Posts
3 Thule wide x-bars with rain gutter mounts. It'll carry most anything. Also have various bike mounts and a fairing. I've been using these racks on and off since '89.
Wheeling with a canoe on the roof is no problem.

A mount

You can see the fairing in this pic.

Used rain gutter mounts for Thule and Yakima are pretty esy and cheap to come by these days on epay ect. No cars come with rain gutters anymore so folks are dumping them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what kind of price are we talking about? are they listed as universal? and a '96 Trooper doesn't have a rain gutter...(I don't think)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Yakima track system..
I like it it's great doesn't cost a lot if you are ok with drilling into your roof :D

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
No drilling here, I have Yakima Q towers with Q34 clips and 58" load bars that I bought off Craigslist for cheap. I usually have bike mounts on too but took them off to carry kayaks and haven't gotten around to putting them back on.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
ARB, a bit spendy but very well bilt!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Surco is another option - and there are threaded factory locations to mount the rack:

Product ID: SR-S5060
Product Name: Surco Safari Roof Rack 50x60
Attributes: 4 inch,
Product Price: $256.41

Product ID: SR-TR100
Product Name: Surco Trooper Adaptor
Product Price: $41.99

Subtotal: $298.40

The above prices are 2007.

Here is an old picture, just before I removed the bumper guards and running boards the previous owner installed:

·
Registered
304 Posts
man, i love that full length ARB rack! Too bad they're few and far between.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Had a local shop make one. There are mounting points on the roof already you just have to remove the black molding runnind the legnth of the roof.

-C

·
Registered
13 Posts
C, I love your rack
will check tomorrow under the trim for the attaching points, mine is 1993 Trooper LS
BTW - how do you wash the roof - i assume you keep the rack on all the time ???
Z

·
Registered
8,073 Posts
The mounting points are sometimes concealed by tape...

·
Registered
198 Posts
BigSwede said:
The mounting points are sometimes concealed by tape...
Yes they are hidden it confused me at first! I just use a power washer so the roof gets sprayed off but I guess not really washed wich is what happend w/o the rack too as I am short :D I do not remove it either.

-C

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
jl8088 said:
man, i love that full length ARB rack! Too bad they're few and far between.
Its not too bad.Its the same rack as used on fj crusiers beleive it or not just different mount kit.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts