Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used 96 Rodeo from a friend. They still had the original window sticker. According to the sticker it came with a 21.9 Gallon fuel tank. Tonight I went out to start the Rodeo and it turned over with no fire. Playing with it I realized that the pump wasn't sounding from the rear of the truck as normal. I use the odometer since I don't trust the fuel guage. It was at 308 miles. I average 19.8 MPG in the city. The fuel guage was almost to a 1/4 tank still. I should have had almost 6 gallons left in the tank. I put some gas in the tank from a can I had and it fired right up. Any clues guys? What kind of switch does it use to detect gas in the tank? If it's the sender, it showed almost 1/4 a tank left. I'm planning on a trip soon and don't want to get stuck in case it's a faulty switch.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
5,577 Posts
The most obvious answer is that the tube that connects the fuel pump to the filter inside the tank has fallen off or failed. The pump itself is still pumping but it can't reach the gas in the bottom of the tank.

There are a few other possibilities though. The first is an intermittent pump. I had a pump fail that would run for a while then quit, then run for a while..... You should also check/wiggle/disconnect and reconnect the connector that is outside of the tank. These can corrode over time and cause problems.

This will give you an idea of the work involved in changing the pump:

http://www.planetisuzoo.com/articles.htm/116

-Tad

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Of course I just filled the tank up! I'm going to get under there and check the connections first. I guess I'll have to wait for it to quit working again to make sure the pump is getting power when it's not working. That will help narrow it down. I found a pump at Advance for $128. Is that a good price for an electric fuel pump?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.