Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure exactly WHAT is going on now.
My troop ALLWAYS ALLWAYS ALLWAYS got 16 mpg or better.
Most often was in the 17 to 17.5 mpg range.

Now that I have gotten it back together with the donor motor, the fuel millage is hovering between 13 - 14 mpg. ICK!

Allready replaced the O2 sensor, the EGR & IAC was cleaned out when reasembling the motor, the coil packs are swapped out & are good, the NGK V-Power plugs are new, all vacuume hoses are connected & are in good condition. Hmmmmmmm. I wonder if the wide open (no cat, no resonator) 3" ehxaust is flowing TOO MUCH volume. All it has is a new 3" in/out flowtec raptor muffler where the cat used to be and a 3" x 24" curved tip pipe that dumps out the driver side under rear door. Maybe I need to RESTRICT the exhaust some???????

Just dont know.

Also, the engine runs like a singer sewing machiene, but I do hav ejust a touch of "Rich" exhaust smell when sitting at idle.
No CEL anymore. (Went out when I installed new 02 sensor.)

Any other possible ideas??????????????

·
Registered
523 Posts
Any chance you had the injectors either swapped out, or spray tested the old ones?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Recently in my rodeo I had to change my mass airflow sensor (MAF) because i took my rodeo in for some maintenance and they tested it and mine was defective, I was getting really poor mileage 15 mpg, i didnt think much of it because i just changed my MAF 4 months ago but it went bad fast, so I got my new one and my vehicle is running wayyy better. just an idea for you. oh and my vehicle wasnt giving me any codes even though my MAF was bad.

·
Registered
11,467 Posts
Check the coolant temp sensors, there are 2 of them. 1 is for the gauge and the other tells the computer what the temp is. If the computer one isnt working right the computer will make the engine run rich like a choke on an old carb'd engine.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gizmo42 said:
Check the coolant temp sensors, there are 2 of them. 1 is for the gauge and the other tells the computer what the temp is. If the computer one isnt working right the computer will make the engine run rich like a choke on an old carb'd engine.
Good to know! Thanks!
Ummmmmm, any clue where they are at? :lol:

I'm sure the Haynes manual will tell me.

Thanks!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts