Isuzu SUV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read several posts on gas milage on Rodeos and Troopers. I just finished a restore of an 85 Trooper. I left the 1.9 engine in, just doing a valve job. My son picked it up yesterday for the 500 mile trip back up to Kansas. He figured the milage at 33 MPG for the trip. All highway miles doing between 55 and 60. Seems like alot as I only get 34 on the highway in my 2006 Mazda. Anybody ever get that good a mileage??

·
Registered
227 Posts
My Protege got 37MPG cross country. I don't really believe any SUV would get close to that. My 1993 Isuzu truck barely broke 22-23MPG when I owned it. The 33MPG figure seems high...maybe 23MPG?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an 88 Trooper II 4 cyl. 4WD (only made that way I think) with 205K on the speedo.
I just did a 1,000 mile round trip visit to Mom & Sis. On the way home, I did about 18 mpg. Average speed on open road about 65 mph.

Sounds like the kid got the math wrong. Unless that is that his/your rig is really special.
:)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Whew! If this is true, I'll be down in a few days for you to adjust the valves on my 86!!! I been averaging 19-20 mpg with the 2.3/five-speed. Didn't the 85's only have a four speed and different gearing? Although putting taller tires on the four speed might be in the "sweet spot" for mileage. Let us know how it continues. I saw the pics of that Trooper, it sure was sweet!

·
Registered
92 Posts
real miles, or odometer miles ... that is the question! :p

·
Registered
1989 Trooper R/S
4,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea, I couldn't believe 33 either. It does have the 235x75x15 instead of the 225x75x15. That could have helped some.

·
Registered
523 Posts
well.....235's are 2% bigger in diameter, so if the odo read 500, he only went 490....

·
Registered
221 Posts
My old 84 LS Jackaroo (Ausy trooper) only gets about 24 miles to one of our larger "imperial" gallons ! To the US gallon I think that would be about 18 MPG. Its fitted with the 2 litre 4 cylinder but only the 4 speed box with no overdrive. It didn't make any noticable difference to fuel economy whether it was on standard wheels or on the 31s I put on when it goes offroad, it cruises at speed better on 31s but you have to change down more on hills, I think they cancel each other out. As for over 30 MPG, only in my dreams !

·
Registered
7,284 Posts
sammynomas said:
well.....235's are 2% bigger in diameter, so if the odo read 500, he only went 490....
Backerds.

500 = 510

·
Registered
229 Posts
I can't say much. I went to Florida for our move and my Probe filled up 3 times, that was IT. And my odometer at the end of the trip was 1,384 miles. She was averaging around 40 highway. My mom's 1995 Oldsmobile 88, 3.8L V6, with over 200K miles at the time (Now over 340,xxx) Literally made the same trip my four cylinder made and was averaging around 35-39 mpg. We have proof of it too.

·
Registered
229 Posts
And even with my tires on the '91 and my small lift (Tires being 34's) I literally get highway, 376 miles to a full tank in my 2.6L Anything is possible.

·
Registered
227 Posts
91Suzu said:
I can't say much. I went to Florida for our move and my Probe filled up 3 times, that was IT. And my odometer at the end of the trip was 1,384 miles. She was averaging around 40 highway. My mom's 1995 Oldsmobile 88, 3.8L V6, with over 200K miles at the time (Now over 340,xxx) Literally made the same trip my four cylinder made and was averaging around 35-39 mpg. We have proof of it too.
I'd love to get me an Isuzu truck shell and fit an FSDE into it. That would be sweet...a truck that could get 35MPG (I love the smaller Mazda 4 cylinders....the FSDE in my 03 Protege was the best 4 banger I ever owned with regards to ease of maintenance, fuel economy, and power). I miss it :evil:

·
Registered
229 Posts
Yeah, same as my Ford Probe, which had the 2.0L DOHC from the Mazda MX-6...Threw a rod in it at 287,294 miles. Got around 32 highway (It was a five speed) and it never broke down on me, and I didn't do much work to it at all either. Had it from 189, 137 and bought the car in Florida no joke for 225 dollars. Had it almost 3 years. (I do a LOT of driving, haha.) I love to drive, I don't care what type of tires I have or what kind of vehicle. I will drive in one direction just cause my vehicles get the mileage and I have some gas money at the time. Road trips are sooo much fun.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Yeah, road trips were awesome in that car. It actually made it up through the Rockies with no issues...even on the steepest inclines still in 4th gear. Not many people know that the drivetrain is the same as the more expensive Protege5s.

BTW the version of the FS-DE in the Protege had a 10% stock HP boost over the Probes' engines. 130HP in a small car was awesome. Boosted it got upwards of 170HP....still getting 35MPG and none of this DI/DBW bull****.

If I find another one I'm definitely buying it.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Same here man. I'd never get the 6-Cylinder Turbo'ed Probe. The way that the cylinders were honed out, there is a lot of play and skirts crack if pushed too hard, the rods warp and eventually go and you can clearly hear rattling around in all of their engines, whether minor or severe, their engines were crappily built.

By adding a cold air intake, MSD ignition system, shaving the heads, porting the Intake, cats cut off, glass pack and panels removed along with truck crap. I gained a lot of hp and even better gas mileage. Always ran Royal Purple in my vehicles and still do to this day no matter what I have and Premium or mid grade fuel. :D

Only the best for my babies! I don't care what "Clunker" I have at the time.

My Isuzu, dyno, gained 8hp by Royal Purpling the Radiator fluid, tranny fluid, diffs and transfer case and motor oil. You can seriously feel a difference, OMG, especially in the harsh winter. I swear by Synthetics.

But yeah I hear ya. I'd gladly get another MX-6 or Probe 4-banger. Actually, I have a ticket in my glove box, still fighting to get the "Wreckless" driving ticket off my record...Cop clocked me at 137 on the HIghway in a 55. Got arrested, went in front of the judge and convinced him to let me take traffic school and have the ticket wiped from my record. My teeth are white, my nose is brown, but I will have a clean record after 300 dollars in fines and costs. xD

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
of all the gas engines the troopers got over the years........the 1.9L gets about the best mpgs.
even though it has a non O\D 4sp mated to it in all 4wds that it was sold in.
1985 and older there are no O\D or auto tranys sold in 4WD models, 4wds are 4sp trans ONLY

hears the orignal EPA, MPG rating for the 84/85 trooper
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySidePopUp.jsp?column=1&id=1117

but i must edmet 33 out of a gas trooper even running ""strictly 100%"" under 60mph, slow and steady on up grades, with no cargo, high tire pressers, is very far fetched for most any USA driver. id say about 29ish is possible with very aggressive Eco driving.......

as a rule for ZOOs i figure the max road mpg is about 3/5 more mpg then the rated avrege high way number.
sence its 21mpg id say with no changes other then going 55mph 24/26 should be very possable.
but if he was drafting big rigs 80% of the time, and staying under 55.
yea i gess its possable he got close to or over 30 mpg.

·
Registered
229 Posts
That's like with the Amigo's up to '93, they did not come in Auto unless you paid top dollar and specially requested it custom.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts